Oberammergau hotel recommendation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would appreciate any recommendations for a nice hotel for our family of four? Thankyou Jim
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There may indeed be one, but be advised the town's pretty small. Appears on a drive through to be about 3 by 5 city blocks in area.
Suggest you seek accomodations within a 30 mile radius, to afford more choice
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 11:28 AM

If you want to be right in the CENTER of the village, then the Hotel Wolf (it may be spelled with an "e" on the end, cannot remember for sure) is a property to consider.

If you want to be about as "upscale" as you can be then the ParKHotel Sonnenhof might suit you..a few minutes (approx 5) to the center of the village.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I was looking at the Hotel Wolf, the Turmwirt and the Alte Post as options and wanted something nice and classic Barvarian? I appreciate your help. Jim
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 01:41 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Bold, and it was fine. Nothing fancy, but perfectly comfortable and located near the shops and beautiful painted houses.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 01:56 PM

I have never stayed at the WOLF, but have stopped for their apple strudel many times on trips through the town. The lobby area looks very nice and the service in the restaurant is good. You will probably be okay staying there. Buy some strudel for me!

We usually stay in Garmisch as it is a larger town and an easy drive to get to Oberammergau, Linderhof and Ettal Abby. Enjoy the area.

We first found it 34 years ago while stationed in the Army and still get back there as often as we can.

Also check out the prices on the wood carvings. We agonized over purchasing one that was about 18 inches tall in 1971 for $30.00.....it was too expensive. We finally did on a second trip to the area and it is in our home today. There are no $30.00 carvings left in Oberammergau of that size any more. Time flies! So do prices.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 02:59 PM

The Wolf: chalet style architecture with window boxes absolutely overflowing with bright-colored flowers.
It looks so "Bavarian" if you didn't know better you would swear it was fake!
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 06:31 PM

There must be a dozen decent hotels in that charming town. My favorite is the Turmwirt--more of a nice B&B run by a very helpful man. The budget choice is Gasthof Zur Rose--also a good place to eat. I prefer that location as a centro base for the area.