Oban, Ballater, Edinburgh?

Old Jul 26th, 2006, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oban, Ballater, Edinburgh?

We're planning a first visit to Scotland beginning of October. We will arrive by ferry in Newcastle (from Amsterdam) and then have 6 nights before returning to Newcastle. I have read most of the Scotland posts here and am perhaps more confused than ever. I didn't realize there was so much to see in such a small area!

Since we can't do it all in one visit, I have chosen the following itinerary:

Newcastle to Oban (2 nights Glenburnie)
Oban to Ballater (2 nights Deeside Ballater)
Ballater to Edinburgh (2 nights ?)
Edinburgh to Newcastle

We will be travelling in our own car, like to drive, like great scenerary, short walks, gardens, whiskey(!). Is our itinerary doable?

Many thanks to the Scotland experts!
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 05:11 AM

The Oban distillery is a fun tour. It's one of the smaller ones but good fun with a wee dram afterwards. Oban is a very tasty scotch.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 05:15 AM

I can only comment on your hotel choice in Oban. We loved our stay at the Glenburnie. We had a view of the bay--very lovely. Breakfasts were very nice. Favorite distillery visit was Glenlivit but that may not be doable with your travel plan. Have a great time in Scotland.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 05:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
two night stops anywhere are good. However out of all the possibilities, you have a route w/ some quite long drives (especially Newcastle > Oban) You picked Oban and Ballater for some reasons so what sorts of things do you want to see?

The area around Oban is lovelly - though Oban itself is mainly a busy ferry port w/ a ton of accomodations. Deeside and Ballater are really lovely too.

But w/ just 6 days you could have a more leisurely itinerary that zig zagging back and forth across the whole country. Unless, of course, here are specific sites you want to see near Oban and on Deeside.

Just one possibllity to give you an idea: Newcastle into the Borders (about 1/4 the distance as going all the way to Oban). There is a LOT to see in the Borders -- castles/abbeys/St Abb shead, etc.

Then north to Fife (about 1/3 the distance of Oban > Ballater). Things in the area include St Andrews, fishing villages, Falkland Palace, etc.

Then finally Fife to Edinburgh (about 1/3 the distance Ballater/Edinburgh)

Oban and Deeside are very nice - but w/ such a short time I'd want to maximize my sightseeing time and minimize time in transit.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 05:28 AM

That should read " . . . more leisurely itinerary than zig zagging back and forth . . ."

So anyway, let us know why Oban and Ballater in particular and then we can give you better advice . . . . .
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 05:33 AM

I cannot comment on Ballater, as I've never been there, but Oban and Edinburgh were fabulous.

Oh, and be sure to spell whisky without the "e" when discusing scotch. Sheila will give you what-for otherwise!

Our full trip report, with pix, can be found here: http://www.onelittleworld.com/scotland_1.html

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 05:36 AM

BJinHolland

Second the recommendation for the Glenburnie - it is a lovely guesthouse with a sea view. Also had a large room with bay window sitting area overlooking the bay. It is a nice walk into town along the Esplanade.

I can recommend the Castle View Guesthouse in Edinburgh if you haven't made a choice yet. It is in a great downtown location just a couple of blocks to Princes St and a block to Rose St. There is no elevator though and about 5 or 6 flights of stairs to the top floor but the room we had (Balmoral) was very spacious and great view. The breakfasts were excellent and the hosts very pleasant.

We then went on to Mull & Skye so can't really advise you on the other areas but you will love Scotland - the scenery is breathtaking.

Have a wonderful trip.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 05:45 AM

Instead of "what sorts of things do you want to see" I should what specific things do you want to see" I know you may not have a definite list - but are there any specific places?

Except for a lot of Whisky distilleries, all of the things you mention are found w/o the looooong drive to Oban. There is one whisky distillery in the borders that is open to the public. Glenkinchie not far from Edinburgh. And there is the Whisky center on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the quick responses. Well, as I said it is really a challenge to pick an itinerary for Scotland. I picked Oban and Ballater expressely because they were quite a drive away and covered what sounded to be some quite interesting scenery. The drive is the main highlight. DH would rather drive through winding roads than walk through ancient ruins. Need I say more? We often take a wide look at an area by car and then return for places we want to inspect and enjoy in more detail.

From what I've read there is enough to keep us busy in the direct area of both Oban and Ballater (Edinburgh goes without saying) for a full day. On the days we are driving - Newcastle to Oban and Oban to Ballater - what kind of times are we looking at, considering back roads and gentle speeds?

We mainly travel in the US these days so this is really virgin territory for us.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 11:55 AM

The problem is your drive to Oban isn't on long winding scenic roads. The best route would be across country to near Carlisle, up the Motorway as far as Glasgow and around to Oban. On a good day that will take about 6 hours w/o stops. And isn't the most scenic intro to Scotland. If you did take a scenic route it could easily end up 8 or 10 hours. And in Oct,by the time you got to Oban it would be dark.

And for the trip from Oban to Ballater there is no even slightly direct route.

There are many very scenic parts of scotland w/o having to cross the whole country. Plus - except for the motorways you will be lucky to average 35-40 mph.

Just one other comment - from your screen name can I assume you are from the Netherlands? If so you will be driving a left hand drive car so you may be driving even slower since you won't be able tp overtake.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 01:43 PM

BJin Holland,

janisj gives some of the best advice on this forum. Her suggested itinersry in her first post is very good, and as she has already stated the usual route from Newcastle to Oban isn't the most scenic. If this is 'virgin territory' for you, I think you'll find it takes far longer to get from point A to point B than travelling in the US. Also realize than there are back roads you can easily explore around the Borders & Fife. You won't run out of driving possibilities by confining yourselves to these areas.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

Ok, I've been convinced to change my itinerary. See my new posting "Borders, Fife, Edinburgh".

Thanks for all the input. Guess I'll have to save Glenburnie for a next visit!
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 03:22 AM

It seems a shame to miss out on what the north east of England can offer. Better cathedrals, better castles, better beaches, unique world heritage sites...
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 04:48 AM

Since I clearly have a role here, please note:- whisky (no e) not Scotch.

And, since you're a long way from a seriously good distillery (or, should I say, a distillery that makes seriously good whisky), may I suggest you spend one of your Edinburgh evenings with the Malt Whisky Society at the Tasting Rooms in Leith. Take a taxi