NYT Article on Lake Como

Jun 24th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

NYT Article on Lake Como

Nice article on Lake Como in today's online NYT.

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/06/2...25goingto.html
Jun 24th, 2006, 03:09 AM

What a great article. Thank you for letting others know about it. I have actually just decided to reroute our honeymoon via Lake Como!
Jun 25th, 2006, 01:14 AM

Nice article, as far as it goes, but their map is a little weird - it leaves out the entire Lecco branch of the lake!

And the food she describes sounds pretty ordinary for this area, though no doubt it's good. If you want to try some extraordinary restaurants on Lake Como, look here: http://www.beginningwithi.com/food/rest.html

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

beginningwithi.com
Jun 25th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Deirdre, I was hoping you would chime in with your expert opinion--I put more faith in your restaurant recs than the NYT's (the last time the NYT did a Brussels travel article, I had a similar opinion of their restaurant choices). And leaving out the Lecco arm of the lake is a bizarre gaffe. You should contact them about that one!
Jun 25th, 2006, 06:54 AM

I found the article very surfacy and superficial in terms of how well (or poorly!) it defined the Lake Como area.
Jun 26th, 2006, 01:25 AM

"I put more faith in your restaurant recs than the NYT's "

Gulp - that's quite a compliment! Thanks!
Jun 26th, 2006, 05:16 AM

I agree with HowardR. After reading it, I wondered how long the writer had actually spent in the area. Bellagio was only briefly mentioned which seems odd since it's a major tourist destination.
Jun 26th, 2006, 05:48 AM

I was in Como last night (for a concert by the Royal Crown Revue - whee!), and someone told me that Como's getting more tourist traffic these days from Americans hoping to see George Clooney and other celebs, or at least to share the glamor of being in the same places. Whatever... The effects are not good: I got ripped off 7.50 euros for a tiny macedonia (fruit salad) with very indifferent ice cream - I sometimes forget to watch out for the tourist traps! (wasn't expecting them in Como)

At least the concert was free, as was the fantastic dancing.
Jun 26th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

I also read somewhere that property values in that neck of Lake Como have risen due to George Clooney's presence. I don't think even he expected there to be such a ripple effect.