nylon drawstring backpacks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I will be traveling to Italy in March. We will be in Tuscany and Rome most of the time. I want to carry the new nylon drawstring backpacks because they seem to be hard to get into with the thiefs since they tighten up so while on your back and it would be easy to carry everything we need...snacks...important papers...money...c.cards...makeup...etc...What do you all think? Is it as safe to carry as I am thinking? Anyone else done this and had an easy time of it? Please let me know what you think! Thanks...
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 12:48 PM

I'd be pretty wary of putting crucial stuff on my back; it'd be fine for snacks, makeup, a little cash, etc., but stuff that'll ruin your trip if it's lost/stolen I'd put somewhere less accessible (it's not that hard to simply cut into a bag and grab some of the stuff that comes out, and if you're stuck on some sort of crowded transport, it's not that hard for someone to slowly loosen a bag and grab some stuff out of it). So, yes, it could be a good idea for carrying bulky stuff, but not the small, very important things.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

THANKS for your help...I am so freaked out about things getting stolen! I think I have secured the backpack well...When the strings are pulled tight I can use a small lock to connect them even more...when I have the backpack on my back it is really hard to get in it or to even pull the area drawn together apart...but, still I worry about it being cut...this is why I went with nylon...it is a Nike nylon bag and I am hoping it is tough to cut into...Also, perhaps I should wear it under my sweater or coat...again thanks...my nerves are calming somewhat about things getting taken...

Thanks...
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 04:10 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The problem isn't opening the pack -- it is cutting it open. Nothing of value should <u>ever</u> be carried on your back -- you simply can't keep track of what is going on behind you.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 04:35 PM

Dear - thieves don;t open you back pack. They use a box cutter to slice the nylon somewhere hear the bottom and just pull stuff out (thus not only stealing from you but making the backpack fairly useless).

Traveling with a backpack on a daily basis is an invitation to theft - esp on public transit of any sort. Whatever you carry should be in front of you - preferably bandolier style over the shoulder - if you want to avoid theft.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 04:47 PM

Firstly, credit cards, lots of cash, important papers--those go in a money belt (or neck pouch, leg locker, etc). I've travelled lots with my nylon backpack and I've gotten my mom to start using them too. On the metro, bus, any very crowded place, I switch to wearing it in the front, or under a jacket. I do the same if I'm using a purse or any other type of bag. I like the nylon backpacks simply because they are very lightweight and roomy enought to hold a rainjacket, water bottle, etc.

The best way to avoid theives is keep your hands on your belongings in crowded areas, don't keep anything important in your pockets, and generally just be aware of your surroundings. Have a great trip!
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

THANKS to EVERYONE...I guess I need to rethink the backpack...except for things like makeup to freshen up with or snacks...I will wear the backpack under my coat at all times! Or sling it over one shoulder and in front of me! THANKS for all the help...I need it!
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:53 AM

I agree with the other posters...backpacks aren't the way to carry the necessities (passports, money, tickets, etc). I was on a bus in Rome when an undercover policeman thankfully foiled an attempted theft of my backpack (which at the time had a pair of socks, undies, and bottle of water inside). Also, avoid the waist (fanny) packs and choose a bag that you can carry across the front of your body. I stick with those smaller packs carried diagonally and have never had a problem. Just keep an idea of your surroundings and keep your things organized so you can tell if something is gone.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 03:14 AM

You keep anything really important - passport, tickets, credit cards, etc - as close to your skin as possible &amp; under clothing.

Keep a little money in an accessible pocket so you don't have to disrobe in order to buy a coffee
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 03:52 AM

Don't wear your backpack under your clothes or backwards. Talk about drawing attention to yourself!

Just take your backpack, wear it normally to carry non-valuable stuff on your back. Keep your valuables secured elsewhere.