NYC to Santorini Flight w/ Checked Bags

Old Apr 11th, 2021, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC to Santorini Flight w/ Checked Bags

Hi!

Looking for some advice on what time to book my connecting flight for our trip to Santorini. We booked our flight from NYC to Athens already, which is supposed to land at 8:50am. We will have to check our bags as we're staying in Greece for several weeks. I want to fly to Santorini from Athens the same day. Right now, there are plenty of times available, and I just want to make sure I have enough time to de-plane, go through customs/passport check, baggage claim, ATH security and to the proper gate.

Right now solid options for flight from ATH to Santorini are:
  • 10:30am - Sky Express (too early IMO)
  • 12:50pm - Sky Express
  • 1:15pm - Volotes
  • 1:30pm - Sky Express
  • 2:00pm - Sky Express
  • 4:30pm - Sky Express
My thought is to go with either 1:30pm or 2:00pm, if we land and are at the gate before the 12:50pm even boards, maybe we can see if we can get on that flight. Just want to have plenty of time in-between to reduce any risk/stress.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 04:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
When is this trip? If more than 1 or two months out - any flight schedule is little more than a suggestion or 'place holder'. There is no way to tell. Flights are rescheduled and cancelled and one really only has some sort of firm idea maybe 4 to 6 weeks out? Even the big legacy carriers are changing flight times, consolidating flights, and cancelling flights every day. Which also means your flight out of NYC may have several schedule changes between now and then

If the trip is months from now -- wait a long time to decide - until after your departing flight firms up. And - keep an eye on your current booking because it seems most airlines are not officially notifying passengers of schedule changes until nearer to the date.

Now -- IF the trip is in the next month or so, and you have to choose, I would not book anything before maybe 1:30 or 2PM
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 10:16 PM

Why aren’t you looking at Aegean Airlines/Olympic Air flights? Given the choice I would prefer them to Sky Express, and in fact have used them many times over the years. Volotea is a Spanish based budget airline that leaves from the satellite terminal.

Book ComfortFlex with Aegean Airlines and you get unlimited ticket changes for free.
https://en.aegeanair.com/plan/bookin...economy-class/

Allow a minimum of 3 hrs between flights. Aegean Airlines has a Connection Ambassador at Arrivals who will assist you in making the connection.
https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/...dHclMjElMjE%3D

Last edited by Heimdall; Apr 11th, 2021 at 10:22 PM.
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 11:21 PM

I just did some random checks on the Aegean Airlines website, which showed the mid-day flight (leaving about the same time as the 13:30 Sky Express) heavily booked on some days, even into September. I can now understand why Sky Express has scheduled two flights only a half hour apart at 13:30 and 14:00.

Sky Express is also a reputable Greek airline, and is now flying the ATR-72 to Santorini. It’s a 74 seat turboprop, comparable in size to the Dash 8 400 used on most domestic routes by Aegean/Olympic. I don’t know if its ticket change and refund policies are as good as Aegean’s, but its prices are usually lower.

Last edited by Heimdall; Apr 11th, 2021 at 11:48 PM.
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all!

We’re traveling during the 3rd week of September.

I honestly have no preference over the airline, sky express just has the most to offer currently.

so it sounds like we definitely need at least 3 hours? Checked bags is the main concern but we don’t have much of a choice there.

thanks again!!
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 04:19 PM

If your flight from New York passes through another EU airport on the way to Athens then you will already have gone through the customs/passport process. In that case, once you get to Athens all you have to do is collect your bags, walk through the "Nothing To Declare" doors and go upstairs to check in for your flight to Santorini. And even that part of the process can be shortened if you download your ATH>JTR boarding passes online 48 hours before that filght is scheduled to depart. Then all you need to do is drop off your luggage at the designated kiosk and go find your departure gate. For this scenario 2 hours is plenty of time. For one that requires more processing in Athens, such as ticket counter check-in, then 3 hours is fine.

Last edited by brotherleelove2004; Apr 12th, 2021 at 04:22 PM.
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 08:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There is a good chance your US > Europe flight will be rescheduled multiple times between now and Sept so picking any Santorini flight based on some arrival time 5+ months from now is difficult. Hopefully the Greek airline you choose will have the same sorts of refund/rescheduling/re-booking latitude as the legacy lines.

Data point -- just anecdotal but to give you an idea: I'm planning SMF > LAX > LHR and LHR > PHX > SMF for early July. This was booked back in December. As of today SMF > LAX has had one schedule change and one equipment change (meaning I had to select a new seat). LHR > PHX has been changed twice (first was changing PHX to DFW, second was DFW changed back to PHX but a different time which added 3 hours on the ground. That is just so far. I expect more changes in the next 3 months . . . and actually wouldn't be surprised if one or more of the flights was cancelled
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 08:59 PM

Good point about airline rescheduling from janisj! That’s one reason I brought up a ComfortFlex ticket with Aegean Airlines (unlimited ticket changes for free).

SKYTRAX has voted Aegean Airlines the best regional airline in Europe for nine years running.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again all. The Reschedule of flights is something I did not consider either.

I'm probably going to go with SkyExpress still. Their Sky Enjoy ticket seems super promising (free changes, checked bags, 24 hrs flight change etc)
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 06:52 AM
J62

You should check if SkyExpress has an interline baggage agreement with whatever airline you are flying from NYC to Athens. If they do, you may be able to get your bags checked all the way from NYC to Santorini. If that's the case then you would not see your bags or go through customs until your final destination, Santorini.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 09:59 AM

If your US - ATH flight is with one of the "standard" nonstop flights from N America (Delta, AA, United, Canada Air), these have been doing 1 nonstop per day since forever, and are not likely to re-schedule more than a few minutes. In normal times, 2.5 hours is PLENTY of time for a connection... alsmot all flights arrive/leave from the big main building... you just walk from the International side over to the Domestic side to get in line for your Santorini flight. Usually you have to stand in a passport line (takes 20 imnutes, but if there's a jumbo jet arrivign from CHINA same time... a lot more), the "customs" is nothing, you just walk through no line, then you need 20 minutes waiting a carousel for baggeage then over th Aegean, Sky Epxress, etc. HOWEVER -- this is not a Normal y ear!! THere's the COVID extra line, where you have to show proof of vaccination OR take an instant test. Even if YOU have a "Proof" card, if somone ahead of you runs into trouble... ugh. There's no way to foretell how short/long the wait might be. The 12:50 Sky Express -- 4 hours -- should be OK. If Aegean is same price & same time roughly, I'd prefer it, otherwise stick with Sky Express. Volotea has iffy record.
Old Aug 10th, 2021, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Hi All

Thanks again for the sound advice. Wanted to provide a quick update and see if anyone has travelled recently (within the last month or so) to provide some more advice and feedback.

My flight from JFK has changed, we will now land in Athens at 10:00am (previously we were landing at 8:50am).

With that said, the SkyExpress flight time is the same, leaving Athens for Santorini at 2:00pm. So we have 4 hours (if all goes according to plan)

We are fully vaccinated and will be checking bags. Could use some updated thoughts on whether or not we have enough time to deboard -> go through customs -> collect bags -> re-check bags -> go through COVID screening (if applicable) -> go through security etc before boarding starts on SkyExpress.

Any input would be great, this has been so helpful so far!
Old Aug 10th, 2021, 05:15 AM
J62

I have no insight into anything covid related. So aside from that the 4 hrs between flights sounds ok to me. Even if your incoming flight was an hour late I would not have a concern myself. You may even get lucky and be able to get on one of the earilier flights if they allow it.

Last edited by J62; Aug 10th, 2021 at 05:30 AM.
Old Aug 10th, 2021, 11:32 AM

See if you can check in online and print out your boarding passes with Sky Express. That will allow you to drop off your bags and proceed to the departure gate without joining the lines at the checkin counter. There is a chance you can check your bags all the way through to Santorini, though, as it is an International airport. Confirm one way or another when you check in at JFK. If that is the case your baggage tags will read JTR instead of ATH. You will still go through passport control in Athens, as that will be your first Schengen arrival.
Old Aug 11th, 2021, 04:59 AM

It would be much easier if you had booked your trans-Atlantic flight and the flight to Santorini on one ticket, leaving all the worry about transferring your luggage to the airlines. Is it possible to make that alteration now without too much penalty charge?
Old Aug 11th, 2021, 08:45 AM

I would recommend plenty of time in the Athens airport - maybe 3 hours. You will have to retrieve your baggage and also go through passport control and customs before you board your flight to Santorini. I wouldn't take any chances cutting it too close. I've done that before, and it's not good. I once had two hours in an overseas airport after coming from the United States (I think it was Heathrow) and I thought I had plenty of time to do all that. I just BARELY made it to my flight, and I had to run. The delay at passport control was intense.