Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

All checked and carry on bags will be checked by hand under new security bill!

Nov 16th, 2001, 07:41 AM
Daniel

At first glance it seems like a good idea, that under the soon to be passed bill on aviation security, that all checked and carry on bags will be checked by hand, I thought. Until I looked into it. Can you believe the lines and delays that will result in every carry on bag being looked at by the security people? Or the thought of every checked bag being opened and reviewed at check-in? If they had trustworthy and efficent machines that would do the job it would be no problem, but they do not, so the checking will be done by hand!

The delays and the cost to the airlines and the flying public will be incredible!

Nov 16th, 2001, 07:48 AM
frequent flier

I'm hoping that some of these new rules will help cut down on the number of items that idiots try to bring on board with them instead of checking them in. The airlines had rules on the books against doing so, but, like so much with them, they never really enforced them.

Nov 16th, 2001, 07:58 AM
Justine

I read some where that the main reason people are not flying is their expectation that the lines and delays will be to much to handle. Wait until this bill kicks in, then we will see some incredible lines!

Nov 16th, 2001, 09:41 AM
flyer

Not to say you're wrong, but I heard something different.

The main stipulation in the security bill regarding luggage is that all checked-in luggage will have to go through an explosive-detection device. However, until all aiports can be outfitted with the devices, they luggage will have to be opened and checked.

I haven't heard anything about hand-checking carry-on stuff.

Still, your point about having someone rifle through your checked luggage is well taken. Not only does it seems weird, but it also seems as if it will take forever to do.

If someone's heard something different about carry-ons, please comment.

Nov 16th, 2001, 10:23 AM
Gary

It is true.

Nov 16th, 2001, 11:01 AM
flyer

What's "it"?

Nov 16th, 2001, 12:00 PM
flyer

I won't claim to have done exhaustive research on this, but everything I've read says (only) "checked-in" baggage will be opened, until the explosive-detection devices are in place.

So, as far as I can tell, carry-ons are not included in the bill and will be treated as they are now -- through the x-ray machine. If someone can cite a news source that says otherwise, please do.

Nov 16th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Larry

With a good percentage of the airline staff laid off, who will open millions of bags by hand to see if there is anything unusual in the baggage? Looks like an incredible process!

Nov 16th, 2001, 12:22 PM
KT

I heard and read exactly what Flyer said -- the hand-inspection is for checked bags if there is no machine that can detect explosives, not for carry-ons which will continue to be x-rayed. The airports have 60 days to implement this.