Search

Nuremberg

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nuremberg

My friend and I will be visiting Nuremberg during the Christmas Market during the first week of December. We are currently spending (4) nights and (4) days in Nuremberg. One of those days we are planning on a day trip to Bamberg. That leaves us (3) days to tour Nuremberg.

With that being said, we are trying to figure out if we really need (3) days in Nuremberg. We obviously want to visit the Christmas Markets as well as do shopping in the stores. We also want to visit the Nazi Documentation Center as well as the court and maybe a few other sites. We aren't huge museaum buffs.

For those of you who have spent quality time in Nuremberg, is (2) full days in Nurember enough time or do you think we need (3) days based on what we plan on doing while there (as I mentioned above)?

We are both in our 30's and very active so we don't diddle daddle too much! We don't want to sprint through town but at the same time we don't drag out our visits either. Since we don't have a lot of time, we want to use our time wisely as opposed to if we had 2 or 3 weeks, we could take things a bit slower.

Thank you for your help!
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 07:33 AM
yk

I'm no expert, but having visited and stayed in Nuremberg last year, I think 2 full days is plenty. Would you consider a day trip to Würzburg?
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 07:46 AM

If you havent been to Rothenburg yet, its only a short trip away.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 07:53 AM

For what it's worth, 2 days in Nuremberg would probably be plenty and I second the vote for Rothenburg.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies.
We are considering going to Wurzburg or Regensburg for a day trip. I have been to Rothenburg and absolutely loved it - Some of my best photographs came from there!

Our other alternative is to only spend 3 nights, 3 days in Nuremberg, and then 2 days in munich - one of those days we'd day trip to somewhere around Munich (we are thinking west of munich). We've both been to munich so 1 day to visit the markets and do some shopping is enough for us.

I was thinking 2 days was plenty of time as well but wanted to confirm.
Thank you
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 08:38 AM

I just did the Christmas markets this past December (2007). Two days in Nuremberg is perfect.

Do go to Regensburg. It's very scenic and lovely at Christmas time, and a good walking city.

Bring warm clothes...you'll need them.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 08:51 AM

Last year I took a Christmas Market cruise on the Danube and while I enjoyed Nuremberg (and found the Nazi history fascinating) I strongly recommend visiting Rothenberg--the quintessential Christmas village--and Regensburg. Regensburg had the most local Christmas Markets (handmade items from local folks) and the town itself is charming. It is right on the Danube and much of it looks like an Italian hill town with pastel buildings and some steep narrow streets. Since I was on a cruise I don't have any hotel recommendations.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Jim and sbsjsf for the feedback on Regensburg. It sounds exactly like the type of Christmas town we are wanting to visit!

It looks as if our trip is shaping up nicely.

2 days Nurmberg
1 day Bamberg
1 day Regensburg
1 day Munich

*we are spending 4 nights in Nuremberg and will make day trips to Bamberg and Regensburg. We are flying out of Munich so will spend our last day/night there.

I'm thinking the Bayern ticket is probably the best route to take as far as train tickets. Does anyone disagree or have a better idea? Our train travel will be:

Day 1: Munich to Nurmberg
Day 3: Nuremberg to Regensburg and then back to Nuremberg that night
Day 4: Nuremberg to Bamburg and then back to Nurmberg that night
Day 5: Nurmberg to Munich

So technically, 6 train rides.

Thank you for your help!

Old Jun 30th, 2008, 02:45 PM

The Bayern ticket is a good choice, however, you have to take the slower trains...the ones that stop at every stop.

The distances you want to travel aren't great, but sometimes it pays to pay a bit more for the faster, more direct, trains. Of course it depends on your time situation.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jim - would you recommend the twin pass over the Bayern pass? I think for longer distances, I'd prefer the ICE trains. Or maybe just buy point to point, but I think that is more expensive in the long run.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 06:50 PM

You're probably OK with the Bayern pass. Looking quickly at the German train schedule, all of the trains appear to be within a half-hour of each other in their travel times.

You cannot travel on the ICE trains with the Bayern pass.

Since you're making two trips a day on certain days, the Bayern option is certainly cheaper...plus it gets you on the buses & city trains.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jim - that certainly confirms my decision then on the Bayern Pass!
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 01:21 PM

Rileybug:
Where did you and your friend decide to stay in Nuremberg? At this time I'm still planning to base in Regensburg, but I might spend 1 night in Nuremberg just to experience the Christmas Market at night.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 02:13 PM

Barbara, check the train timetables - you can easily return to Regensburg from Nürnberg in the evening. No need to drag your luggage along and change accommodation. Night falls around 4-5 p.m. in December, so you'll have plenty of time to enjoy the markets in the evening and then hop on a train back around 8 or 9 p.m. or even later.
Avoid going to Nürnberg on a Saturday, the market will be incedibly crowded.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 02:37 PM

The Germanisches Nationalmuseum in Nuremberg has an excellent collection
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Barbara, we decided to spend our 4 nights at the Romantik Hotel Am Josephsplatz. We found out they do require a 3 night minimum during the Christmas Market season. Another poster mentioned Hotel Elch, which looks wonderful and we were tempted to switch, but decided to stick with our 1st choice. Maybe stay at Hotel Elch next time. They may not have a 3 night minimum stay. www.hotel-elch.com.

Vttraveler, I will look into this Museum. Thank you for the recommendation!
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Hi - our trip is fast approaching and we have not yet bought train tickets. Is the german rail site the best site to purchase the bavaria ticket?
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 11:05 AM
yk

If you're talking about the Bayern Ticket, you can buy it when you are in Nuremberg.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you YK! I can buy at the train station I'm assuming?
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 04:58 PM
yk

Yes.

If you buy it from a ticket window, you'll pay a 2 euro surcharge. No surcharge if you buy it from the ticket machine. Not sure if a US CC will work at the machines or not (possibly it may only accept CC with chips), but the machines do take cash/coins. The machines have English option. Just buy the bayern ticket daily from the machines at the train station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -