Reload this Page >

Novice needs Computer Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:27 PM
Degas

Never had this problem before and I know just enough about computers to be dangerous.

When I try to copy some text from a forum post and paste it into a word document, my computer freezes up and I can not take any switch actions. I have to disconnect the power chord and manually re-start the computer. I can copy and paste from one word document to another without any problem.

I'm running windows XP home edition. This problem started right after I downloaded Norton internet security 2004 program. Any ideas what is going on?

Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since the problem started with the Norton, I would start there.

Make sure your security settings are not set to 'high'.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 05:17 AM
ira

Hi Degas,

Along with checking your security options, it might be your windows XP.

I found that my new computer running a new version of Windows tries to copy an internet document complete with all of its formatting. This requires it to actually download data from the net. In addition to taking longer than necessary, it sometimes gets hung up.

Try copying smaller amounts of data and see what happens.

Rather than disconnecting the power cord, just hold the power switch down and the computer will turn off.

Good luck.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 05:25 AM

Degas, why are you worrying your pretty lil head over this computer stuff?
(The Following is Brilliant advice from Ms Scarlett)
The Yankee had the same thing happen and we found that Mr Norton was killing anything new that came near our computer. He turned it down and it is behaving now. Although my computer now freezes if anyone tries to Instant Message me..go figure~
I too found out that just pushing the little button will shut down things without pulling any plugs.
Good luck, sugar~
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 05:33 AM
Degas

ira, I must have a weird computer. It goes into stand-by mode when I push the power supply button on the front of the computer. To get it to completely shut off, you have to take a switch action. Thus the power cord drill.

Anyway, it freezes when I attempt to copy even a single line of text.

I'll email norton, but they'll blame microsoft and then microsoft will blame norton, then I'll really get pissed.

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 05:40 AM

There isn't any reason you should be having problems with simply copying and pasting. I don't think what Ira is referring to is what you are doing, as I understand it.

I have Windows XP and have no problems copying from a forum post and pasting to a WORD document. I have Symantec virus software and Windows XP professional. I don't know what you mean by "switch actions", I'll admit.

The only time I have ever had troubles copying text from the internet to put into an email or somewhere is on AOL. They have some really unusual and obstructive operating system and browser features, however. Basically, it would just not copy and you'd paste blanks, but it wouldn't make your computer freeze up. There are some unusual security features on some web pages that make it impossible for you to just copy their text by holding down a mouse and scanning over the text. I just encountered that this year and I don't understand it, but some web sites can do that. That does make your computer crash, sort of, on the web page I tried to do that with. I think it just knocked me off the internet, however, my computer itself wouldn't freeze up. Fodors is not one of those sites, however.

How are you trying to copy and paste? I just hold my mouse over text in a post, left click, and go to the end of what I want (which should be highlighted in blue). I then do CTL + C (this is a short cut for copying, hold down the control key and hit the C key), and when I go to an email form or WORD document, I then just use CTL + V (which is shortcut for pasting).

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 06:02 AM
Degas

Christina, by switch actions I mean I have to click on the start button and then click on the shut off computer button on my screen.

I cut and paste by highlighting what I want to copy and then go to the edit tab at the top of the screen and click copy. Your way looks quicker.

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 06:05 AM

Degas:

Using Ctrl C and Ctrl V often works for me when cutting and pasting from the internet, when the old method of going to Edit, then Copy, then Paste does not. I think that should solve your problem.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 06:36 AM
Degas

Tried Ctrl C and Ctrl V method and my computer still froze!

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 06:44 AM
ira

Hi Degas,

As icethecat mentioned, it might be your Norton's program. Have you reduced your security settings? If so, and it still hangs up, you might have to uninstall your Norton security program, then see if you can copy and paste.

If the problem goes away, ask Norton what to do.

If the problem doesn't go away, "email norton, but they'll blame microsoft and then microsoft will blame norton".
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Degas

ira, the settings are on 'medium" as recommended by norton. I did send them an email and eagerly await the reply.
Let the finger pointing begin. Technology is a wonder thing when it works right.

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 08:35 AM

As someone noted above the standard copy'n'paste tries to maintain the formatting, pictures, links etc from a webpage and goes onto the net to try and achieve this - on my home PC this can result in it freezing (or occasionally it will work but freeze if I hit undo - Bill Gates has a lot to answer for.........)

Anyway, 4 suggestions:
1) On the web page, highlight what you want to copy and hit copy (or ctrl-c). Then in Word, instead of just doing a straight paste (or ctrl-v), go to the Edit menu on the toolbar (between File and View) and there should be an option for Paste Special. Highlight "Unformatted Text" and click on okay. It should then just copy the text part without trying to keep the formatting etc or hang when it try's to access the net
2) If Word (or almost anything else for that matter) hangs, press the Ctrl, Alt and Delete keys at the same time - you have to use the Delete not the "<- Backspace" button, just in case . You should get either the task manager up straight away or the option to look at the task manager. Click the the "Applications" tab at the top below the pull-down menu's (the other 2 tabs are "Processes" and "Performance".) Look for Microsoft Word (or whatever is causing the hold up) in the applications list - it may have "Not Responding" written next to it. Click on the one that is causing the problem and hit the End Task button (the bottom right of the window). It may take a bit for all these to come up and it may ask you to confirm a few things but it should kill the program that is hanging your computer without having to restart it completely. Note that you will probably loose any unsaved work in the program you kill.
3) Turn your Nortons down to Medium if it is on High, (or up to Medium if it's on Low, IMHO) - there are too many nasties out there these days to risk leaving it any lower than Medium
4) If Nortons asks you about permissions to access the internet, let Word have access - this may be part of the reason it's crashing. If you can remember saying "No" in the past, then you will have to open your Firewall program (Nortons in your case), look at the permissions and give Word access to the net.

On a slightly off-the-subject note, make sure you keep your anti-virus and firewall software updated (at least weekly with Nortons), they are only as good as the latest set of virus definitions. You should get all this free for a while with Nortons.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 09:44 AM

I will admit that I set my security things down to low, probably. They just caused too many problems on some pages and I have a virus scanner, anyway. I've never gotten any virus or had any problem, actually, from anything.

My suggestion about cut and paste, etc., was assuming you are only tryinig to copy the words or text of posts. I don't use copy and paste to try to copy pictures, ads, graphics or anything else like that, so think that's a whole other issue. Are you having problems only with copying the words from posts?
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 09:48 AM

To get off the subject of cutting and pasting just for a moment, I have another computer question --

How do you add smileys and such to a posting? I see them, but have no idea where they come from.

Can anyone help? Sorry for the thread interruption.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 09:50 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/smileys/

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 09:54 AM
dln

I have to get in this thread because I'm a computer dunce too. I know I'll need to refer back to this!

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 09:56 AM

Scarlett -- thank you so much. I love all the icons!

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Degas

Thanks for all the good info.
Still fooling with it, but still no luck.

Yes, its just with copying and pasting text/words.

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 07:21 PM

Degas;
Since you have checked your Norton settings, have you tried copying and pasting from other applications.

For example from excel or notepad.

This would prove whether it is an html problem or an operating system problem.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 10:51 PM

Degas. No worries, Calamari to the rescue. Have you considerd that your computer proublems could be the result of too much static electricity being generated by your white leather shoes, matching belt and new velcro fanny pack?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -