November Weather?

Search

November Weather?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
November Weather?

Will be traveling for 3 weeks Oct 29-Nov 19 in London, Holland, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, & France. Only time of year we could go. Wonder if light layered clothing and "all-weather" hip length jacket with hood would be sufficient? Don't mind cooler weather. Just hope it's not the rainy season. First time in Europe. Excited!!!! Hubby & I will be taking this guided tour & will get details closer to travel time, but so excited that I couldnt' wait to start getting as much info as possible. It will be our 30-year wedding anniversary. We are age 52 and looking forward to great food, wine, history & architecture. Tips, advice? Thank You!!!!
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 08:56 AM

November is historically Italy's rainiest month, and last year it flooded, stormed and howled a gale in monumental proportions. The year before, it was mostly beach weather.

Your clothing choices sound find for Italy but I would add some lightweight silk underwear from Winter Silk, plus a rain hat and scarf. Were it me going to Holland and London in November, I would want a waterproof coat that went to my knees at least, but then I do more walking around that many people on guided tours do. If your guided tour isn't going to afford you the time to pick up an umbrella enroute, I would pack one.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 09:05 AM

Something waterproof will be useful. Check the weather before you go, it's hard to predict. It could be mild and sunny. There is no rainy season, it could rain all week or not at all, though chances are you will get some rain. Layers are better than a thick sweater. And you are visiting so many countries, you will have to be prepared for anything.
I live in Belgium, and the first week of November schools are on holiday. I remember we've had sunshine, rain, and snow during that week in different years (though snow is very unusual in November here).
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 09:09 AM

Weather predictions for Italy are no indication of what the weather will be.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 09:32 AM

There is no such thing as a "rainy season" in Europe north of the Alps. Rain occurs equally all year round. A rain jacket resp. umbrella and shoes that survive contact with a few puddles are essential to take any time of the year.

Add a warm fleece that fits underneath your rain jacket. Otherwise, layers, layers, layers.

In mid November you may well encounter temperatures below zero at night in Germany and Switzerland.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 09:35 AM

<<< Wonder if light layered clothing and "all-weather" hip length jacket with hood would be sufficient? >>>

Only if you consider 10C or 50F as a nice warm day
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 10:58 AM

Yes, it is the rainy season. And weather can differ significantly by country. Italy can still be not too chilly - but in Holland and Germany you can get quite cold weather. You need either a light weight rain jacket with a selection of sweaters and long-sleeve tops.turtlenecks to put underneath or a mid weight jacket. You also need 2 pairs of waterproofed walking shoes and a sturdy folding umbrella. Just make up you mind that a little rain won;t make you melt and go ahead and do whatever you want. (The rain is rarely torrential downpours, some days it can be steady and some just drizzle.)
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 03:49 AM

Flying to Amsterdam from JFK, NY and then car or train to Paris for 48 hours...love to walk that City!...staying in Rotterdam mostly...FB friend's place...
Weather in Amsterdam and Paris 11/23-29?
Many thanks!

Neal H. Hurwitz NY NY and London and Tel Aviv
212-222-9112
[email protected]
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 04:09 AM

You might want to ask the admins to remove that email address - unless you are wanting lots of spam

And please don't consider anything as stupid as driving Amsterdam to Paris when you arrive - for one thing it's over 300 miles and will take at least 6 hours. Then you have the "joy" of Paris traffic. For another there are direct trains that take half that time.