nov getaway location from UK

Oct 28th, 2007, 06:56 AM
WG
Original Poster

nov getaway location from UK

I am working in London, and my fiance is coming over for thanksgiving - we'd like to go for a long weekend to warm spot for relaxation - not too long a flight, not too hard to get too, etc. i just returned from Santorini, and Mallorca, so thinking somewhere else? Canary islands, if so which island, Madeira, Marrakesh- what are your thoughts?? many thanks!
Oct 28th, 2007, 07:08 AM

Madeira would be nice and relaxing.
I loved Marrakesh -you get some good luxury hotel deals there!
Madeira would be the most relaxed IMO.
Oct 28th, 2007, 07:25 AM
P_M

Before I clicked this thread, Madeira was the first thing that came to mind. I wnet to Madeira in April 2006 and it is one of the finest places I've ever visited. Madeira is not well known to Americans, and I think that's a shame.

You can fly non-stop on British Airways to Madeira. Please click the links below for more info, and if you have any specific questions I will answer if I can. A few things not to miss:
--The Gardens of Monte
--Day trip to Porto Moniz
--Possible island tour with cabbie
The cabbies will do a tour of either the east side of the island or the west side. I recommend the east side. That tour should include a stop at Porto Moniz.
--Levada walks, either with a group or on your own.

http://www.madeira-island.com/
http://www.madeira-web.com/
Oct 28th, 2007, 09:11 AM

Marakesh, is far more fun, might think about tunisia, more mono-cultural.

Marakesh has night spots, ancient city hotels, international hotels and hotels up in the mountains. Search my last trip report Nov 06
Oct 28th, 2007, 09:13 AM

Be careful with the Canaries - make the wrong decision and you could end up in a traveller's idea of hell.

How about Sicily - Ryanair to Palermo?
Oct 28th, 2007, 11:16 AM

Nice in the south of France? Easy to get to, weather seems nice at the moment. You can check historical weather data on www.wunderground.com

Kay
Oct 28th, 2007, 11:22 AM
WG
Original Poster

thanks - all good ideas - been to the south of france several times, so thinking someplace else, tho do love it there, and was french major in college so not disadvantaged with respect to language. will explore marrakesh further, and wondering where in tunisia would you suggest - one spot to relax in is the overriding theme this trip!!
Oct 28th, 2007, 02:09 PM

Tunis is good if you want to visit Carthage, Further south are a series of holiday spots which are perfectly pleasant with fine hotels and the odd roman remain/museum.

Nothing special but all pleasant in an out of season beach resort way. Trains link most of the towns along the coast. To go further inland you need a car. I suggest a search in Africa section
Oct 29th, 2007, 02:42 AM
WG
Original Poster

thanks. i think we may explore madeira more- will check trip advisor for advice re hotels, but wondering if anybody had specific recommendations of places to consider, or avoid. thank you
Oct 29th, 2007, 02:48 AM

I would suggest Essaouira, Morocco. I have been to Marrakesh, too, but Essaoiura is more relaxing. And Madeira is always good, I even chose that for my Millenium party.
Nov 3rd, 2007, 05:20 AM

I'd defintely go to Morocco out of those. Egypt is another option; or Jordan, especially Petra.Or Dubai.