Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with driving tour of Christmas markets

Nov 1st, 2007, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi-I just found out I can spend 4 full days in Germany driving around with my hubby between business meetings he has in Europe! I can fly into any airport in the country arriving on Dec. 1 but I need to end up in Hamburg the night of Dec. 4 since he has a meeting there the next day. We would love to drive around and visit different Christmas markets in interesting towns. I have never been to Germany so I am woefully ignorant of where to focus my efforts. We really love small historic towns (although certaily not averse to visiting a big historic town either!) We also love to stay in small, quaint inns-we don't need luxury digs to stay happy. I would really apprecaite any input! Thanks!
Nov 1st, 2007, 12:51 PM

That sounds like a lot of fun!

I have always wanted to visit the markets and have a couple of links that might be helpful:

http://www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk/index1.htm

http://www.cometogermany.com/

have fun!
Nov 1st, 2007, 01:25 PM

cls2paris
Thanks for the great link to the markets. I just took a quick look. I have from an early December Sunday morning until the following Wednesday night to get from Kassel Germany to Lausanne Switzerland. The markets might be a great way to make my way. It looks like there are several that are mostly "on the way" so I will certainly think about this idea!
Carol
Nov 1st, 2007, 01:28 PM

Don't forget to cross the border into Strasbourg if at all possible.
Nov 1st, 2007, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the links. I guess I am also looking for some input on which towns would be good to visit, and would easily link together in a do-able (not insane) pace. Thank you!!!!!
Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:26 AM

i think it would be nice to include some special towns along the mosel/rhein if possible on your way north.

bacharach and others will not disappoint.

they are small, quaint and many boast a castle on a hilltop.
these are all very near the frankfurt area.

i have not travelled too extensively in germany in the area you will end up in, but searching here you can find people´s favorite market towns AND just favorite towns.

Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:50 AM

Hi Skoop2,

Here's a link to a thread that might interest you:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35070685

These towns & Christmas markets are a bit closer to Hamburg than the others noted above.

Where are you flying into?

s
Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

I can meet hubby in any city in teh country with a major international airport. I just have to be in Hambrug on Tuesday night since he has a meeting there the next day.
Nov 3rd, 2007, 02:25 AM

Hi Skoop - If you are anywhere near Rothenburg, that's a delightful small town Xmas market - well worth a detour.

Munich's and Nuremburg's are renowned, though maybe you won't be so far south ...

Steve

Nov 3rd, 2007, 02:50 AM

Since you do not wish to sit all day in your car (which is a good idea, as driving in December can take a bit longer), I would skip most locations in Southern Germany (Munich, Nuremberg, Rothenburg) or the Alsace (Strasbourg, Colmar).

A bit more "off the beaten path" could be an itinerary that follows (more or less) the River Elbe, downstream from Dresden to Hamburg.

Dresden (Christmas Market, Old Town - not so much a "small town", but still worth a view)

Meissen is just a few miles downstream from Dresden (small historic town, castle, and of course the Meissen china factory - or is it called porcelain in AE?). You can also get good wine there from the region.

Next region of interest would be the Harz mountains (appr. 2hrs from Meissen). Google for towns like Quedlinburg or Wernigerode - and you get a truckload of half-timber, fairy tale town places. Besides the Unesco World Heritage historic city centers, the steam trains running from there are also popular and can take you into the higher elevations where there might already be snow.

From the Harz mountains, Hamburg is appr. 2 1/2 -3hrs by car if you stay on the motorway. On the regular highways the drive will be more like 4hrs, stopovers in between could be Celle and Lüneburg with the latter probably my favorite.

If you want to skip Dresden/Meissen, you can also fly into Leipzig airport which would be closer to the Harz.
Nov 3rd, 2007, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Oh my gosh-that is a great itinerary! Cowboy, you may have just provided me with the best 4 days of 2007! THANK YOU!!!! I'm off to the bookstore!