Reload this Page >

Nov. 1 - Bank Holiday - Belgium & ? - What to expect

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 10:57 AM
Ronda

We will be driving from Brussels to Colmar on Nov. 1 and have learned that Nov. 1 is a "Bank Holiday". I am assuming a bank holiday is like Labor Day here? Can we expect lots of traffic? <BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 11:34 AM
All

November 1 is All Saints´ Day. It is a public holiday in most Catholic countries.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 11:39 AM
Frank

It's All Saints Day. Since Belgium and France are Roman Catholic countries, this is a holiday. Everything will be closed: banks, stores, offices. You'll be able to find a restaurant but that's about it. Plan accordingly. Public transportation will be very limited. Plan accordingly.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 11:45 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>this is one of the lesser holidays.<BR>Large shops and supermarkets were open when I lived in Belgium.<BR>I don't know how long you are travelling, but Nov 11 is a similar holiday in many countries.<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR>

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 01:40 PM
Ronda

Yes, we already found that we must pick up the rental car on Thursday as the rental agencies are closed on Friday.<BR><BR>But how about the traffic? Do you think a lot of people will be taking a long weekend out-of-town and be on the roads?<BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:15 PM
all

Any suggestions on what to do on All Saint's Day? Waht country ie Amsterdam or Belgium would have more open?

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:27 PM
All

November 1 is not a public holiday in protestant Amsterdam.