Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

public holidays in France - May 2010. what is the effect upon my trip ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking at taking the kids to Paris for a week next May (2010). yeah! exciting! argh... stressful trying to find a time.

I would like to avoid public holidays if at all possible. They just add an extra layer of complexity to normal traveling confusion. I've looked at a bunch of sites and they list days and dates that are holidays. Can someone help with the effect ?

May 2010
=> May 8th - VE Day. Is this a bank or public holiday ? Is anything closed ? (would be a Thursday)
=> May 1st (Saturday) - most likely an arrival day. Is this normally a public holiday ? Would it get moved to the first Monday of May ?
=> Ascension Day - May 13th - Is this a public holiday ?

thanks all!
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 06:31 AM

The only one you might have a problem with is May 1st. It is a national holiday and museums and some shops will be closed. Cafes , etc should be open
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 06:56 AM

We were in Nice one year on May 1, and ended up going to Monte Carlo. Stores, museums, and some restaurants were closed. Buses were running sporadically as were trains. There are demonstrations, which you want to steer clear of.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 09:17 AM

Traffic on the highways is wild on Ascension Day weekend--a 3 day weekend and the museums in the provinces were closed. I think it is worth checking particulars if you are driving.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 09:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Most things will be closed on May 1st, although this is slowly but surely breaking down. Don't worry about the other holidays -- banks, post offices, schools and offices will be closed, but most things will be operating as normal.

And to answer one of the first questions -- no, holidays never get moved to a convenient Monday in France. In fact, I only know of one country in the world that does this.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the input everyone. Next year, May 1st falls on a Saturday, which would be our arrival day. So it things are closed, it really wouldn't be a big deal since our plans will be minimal that day (get outside, get outside, get outside). Can you figure out how I've learned to deal with jetlag ?

We could also just schedule arrival for Sunday instead.

thanks!