Reload this Page >

Notre Dame vs Samaritaine Views?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 08:13 PM
anyscreennamesleft

We plan to see Notre Dame right away in the morning, and it apparently opens at 8am. Unfortunately, according to Rick Steve's 2003 guidebook, the tower does not open until 9:30am. We were thinking of grabbing a quick lunch at the top of the nearby Samaritaine Department Store, which is supposed to have a good view. Will we be missing out by not seeing the view from the Notre Dame? We will be in Paris for 3 days and plan to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe. We will also see the Sacre-Coeur and the Pompidou Center, which I have read also have good views. <BR><BR>Maybe all we will miss by not going to the top of the Notre Dame is a close up view of the gargoyles? The Samaritaine with its elevator sure sounds easier. We are young and can do both, but its always wise to conserve sightseeing energy...Has anyone seen both views and have an opinion they'd like to share?

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 09:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I really liked checking out the gargoyles up close. Having said that, it sounds like you're going to be at the top of a lot of monuments, so I think you won't be missing a whole lot giving it a miss. A completely different perspective, in my view, might be from the top of the Montparnasse Tower, which is slightly taller than the Eiffel Tower, giving you a dead on great view of the E.T. (ohh, I just realized the significance of the initials!). You also get a really neat view from the cafeteria windows at Galleries Lafayette. The top of the Arc de Triomphe, which you plan to visit, is a really different perspective that should not be missed, even if you have to hike up stairs in the pouring rain, which we did once when the elevators were out of kilter. And from Montmartre, well, you'll have to see that. You get the reverse view from the Musee D'Orsay balcony.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A visit to Paris would be incomplete without a visit to see the gargoyes! But that's me!
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 05:10 AM
ira

Only miss a close up view of the gargoyles?! Have you ever seen one up close?<BR> Count Dracula
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 07:02 AM

There is a marvelous view from the top of Samartaine. But if you are at Galeries Lafayette, walk west to the second Au Printemps and go up to the roof deck.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 10:29 AM
anyscreennamesleft

Yeah, I was worried about missing those gargoyles! There is only a picture of one in the guidebooks I have, and that little devil looks cool. I didn't word my question well in that regard. From the picture I have, it appears that you look past the gargoyles out to a great view of Paris. I think we will sleep in a bit longer or have a leisurely breakfast and go to the Notre Dame at 9am so that we may climb the tower at 9:30.

Old Apr 5th, 2003, 12:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I wasn't that impressed with the roof of Samaritaine myself, I don't really find it high enough to be &quot;breathtaking&quot;. But the roof of Notre Dame is one of my most memorable experiences in Paris. The gargoyles, the spires, it was all just beautiful, and to look out over Paris, I'd do it again in a minute.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 05:22 PM

Don't know when you are going but during the summer the Notre Dame towers are open at night and the view as the lights come on in Paris is wonderful. Also, it's not just the views, or even the gargoyles, but the whole experience of climbing the stairs (387 I believe) and being up there. One of my favorite things to do in Paris.