Notre Dame Tower Climb Claustrophobic?

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Lynne

Notre Dame Tower Climb Claustrophobic?

Are the stairs up to the gargoyles tight and winding like Sacre Couer? I nearly had a panic attack because of claustrophobia. How about the stairs up the Arc de Triomphe? Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Doug

The stairs at Notre Dame are tight and winding . We took the elevator at Arc de Triomph.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Beth

Yes. I did Sacre Couer and it was the fact that I did not think I would ever get to the top that had me worried (and, of course, you get to fresh air and then have to walk across the roof to the tower!). I would have liked a few signs along the way like they put on highways - you are 200 feet from, 150 from, stay alert you are almost there. My dd wouldn't even go into the stairwell. My legs wouldn't allow me to do Notre Dame the next day. I had seen that view 40 years before and figured "been there, done that." Try the view from Montparnasse Tower (the office building); there is a super fast elevator to the top, and then only one flight up to the open roof if you want to see without glass between you and the smog.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Beth

Another good (non threatening) view is the top of Samaritaine department store; it is an elevator and then just a half flight to the outside. Great 180 degree view. You can dine or snack at the rooftop cafe too. And there's even a bathroom nearby.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 01:57 PM
scarlett

The top of the Pompidou has a good view also

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Betsy

So does Galleries Lafayette. Easier to access than La Samaritaine, IMHO.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 02:19 PM
pj

I personally thought the winding staircase at arche de triomph was harder. I love the view from both vantage points. Go for it!! PJ