Hotel or B&B near Avignon TGV

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Elaine

Hotel or B&B near Avignon TGV

Can anyone recommend a moderately priced accommodation near the Avignon TGV station (the new station)? If we stay at a hotel in the walled city (Hotel de Blauvac), is it easy and inexpensive to get to the train station?

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Christina

oh, believe me you really do not want to stay in a hotel near the new TGV station -- that's a suburban industrial area, not within walking distance of the city. So, I suppose there are some modern chain hotels near it (as the Soutine business area is there) but you don't want to do that.

It's not that far outside the city (maybe 3-4 miles?), a short cab drive which will be cheap, especially split (since you say "we"). However, there is a free (or very cheap) shuttle bus service between the new TGV station and the old city train station every 15 minutes, and you can walk from that station to most places in central Avignon, if you want. Look for the "navette routiere" which is the shuttle bus.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Elizabeth

We stayed at Hotel L'Horloge right on the main place de ville. Great location, esp. if you're walking--parking is a problem. The rooms were quite nice and not too small, hotel staff very helpful, very nice petit dejourne that was included in price of the room which was around 120EE dbl occ per night. tel:0490164200, fax#0490821732 Let me say, it is well worth it to rent a small car at the TGV stat. if you have time to explore Provence a little. Avignon is the perfect place from which to base. All the little villages are within 1-2hours drive,all being only 15 to 30 min apart.
Also, there are some bus excursions to some of the villages. you can find out details at the dpt of tourism just as you enter the gates from the old train station. Have fun, I wish I could be in your suicase!

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Melissa

I stayed at the Blauvac. The walled city of Avignon is not a huge, huge place, so you could just walk from the train station to the hotel. Granted, it's not a SHORT walk, but it wasn't that long, either.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 03:23 PM
avignon

There are no hotels close to the new station and - as Christina states - even if there were, it is an industrial area (Courtine). Take the shuttle.
Now, if you need trains for daytrips, all local trains, and even some TGV's, still use the old station right in town, so you will need to take that shuttle only when you arrive in and leave Avignon.