Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Not your usual Paris restaurant question!

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Philip

This October myself, my wife, two friends, my newphew living in Germany and his German girlfriend are meeting in Paris. We are staying in a hotel near the Louvre. Except for the girlfriend, we are Americans.

Here is the Question!

We are looking for a restaurant where we will be comfortable having a long social dinner. Comfortable means ~ good food and ambiance, reasonable price (different incomes between the people), local food (no McDonalds), friendly staff, etc. We expect to tip the staff well. Would prefer to walk or take short cab ride to restaurant.

Do you have any names?

Thanks!

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Sue

There must be a gazillion of places that will fit that description. I'm sure you'll hear from a lot of folks. Chez Maitre Paul in the 6th is a popular place; I was there in May and would recommend it. I also like Auberge de la Reine Blanche on the Ile St. Louis. Run some searches on those places for more comments.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 03:55 PM
J. Shelly

The Cafe Roc is about five minutes from the museum and has both inside and out door dining. We enjoyed in very much. Sorry, I do not have the address. Enjoy Paris.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Scarlett

When we ate in Allard last year,we noticed that there were large groups,looked like families, and the staff was great,the atmosphere was good, and the food was very good!
It is at 41 rue St-Andre-des-Arts.An easy walk from the area near the Louvre.
We also ate in a place called D'Chex Eux on 2 Ave de Lowendale.There were families with children here,the waiters act like kindly uncles, they would not stop feeding me!! and the food is great!
Enjoy~

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 06:43 PM
steve

My suggestion would be to go the Latin Quarter and just walk until you
find a suitable place. There is so many varieties of Restaraunts to choose there
that I'm sure you will find something.
STEVE

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 04:43 AM
Jim P

Two spots a short walk away are Brasserie Flottes, r. Cambon, and Souffle. r.du Mont Thabor. Excellent food at reasonable prices and they won't pressure you for the table. Souffle has a great prix-fixe menu and Flottes offers Aligot, a unique french mashed potato dish.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:09 AM
RnR

I second Scarllet's suggestion for Allard - had several nice meals there.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:51 AM
StCirq

Phillip:

When I think of a long, social dinner, I definitely don't think of most of the restaurants in the Latin Quarter, or even of d'Chez Eux, which is a nice enough place. I don't know Allard, though I've heard good reports from French friends.
My recommendation would be Armand au Palais Royal, 4, rue du Beaujolais in the 1e. Here you can dine in an elegant setting (the building was formerly stables) under stone arches and enjoy a lovely meal at affordable prices. Definitely a place for a langorous Parisian evening. I don't think there's a website, but you can find a bit more information here: http://www.voyagesdeltatravel.com/co.../enparmand.htm

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Carol

These are some small, lovely reasonable restaurants which I think are just what you're seeking in the 1st arrondissement in the Louvre area: Chez Pauline on the Rue Villedo off the Rue Richelieu, Le Poquelin on the Rue Moliere also off the Rue Richelieu, Le Vaudeville in the Galerie Vivienne on Rue des Petits Champs. I suspect they're all in walking distance from your hotel.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Carol

Also Chez Georges (currently very trendy so a reservation is even more of a must than for the others)on the Rue du Mail right off the Place des Victoires.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Jennifer

Hi Phil,

Well, you've just described literally hundreds of restaurants in Paris! The wonderful thing about Paris is that you aren't herded out of restaurants quickly by an overly eager staff.

To help you choose, you might consider giving more information. What kind of cuisine do you like? What is your price range (in Euros/dollars, not just "expensive" or "moderately expensive" everyone seems to have their own definitions!)?

Jennifer

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:13 AM
treasure hunt

Once you arrive I would simply keep my eyes open as you are out walking around. Also ask the hotel front desk for suggestions. That's only six people, so shouldn't be a big issue.

I saw (ate at several times) what you are describing in an Italian food, family style chain (well I saw the name in more than one location anyway)... good food, reasonable prices, friendly staff. It has "Luna" as part of the name.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 12:20 PM
elaine

Mine is
Chez Julien, just next to l'Hotel de Ville ,not to be confused with
Brasserie Julien.
Small place, traditional decor (lace curtains, etc), moderate prices (including a prix fixe menu), very good food, wine not overpriced and available by the glass or by the bottle.
Closed Sundays I believe.