Albergo California in Positano

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Sandy

Albergo California in Positano

Has anyone stayed at the Albergo California in Positano? Unfortunately, Villa Rosa and La Fenice was booked. Rooms and price are in my price range, even has balcony/view and jacuzzi.

Thanks!

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 05:17 PM
Marty

Sandy: I just returned last night from Italy. We stayed at the Hotel California for five days and loved it. It is lovely with large, pretty rooms with small balconies on the side facing the sea. Be sure to ask for one of the rooms with a view, because there is at least one smaller one with no view. The room was air conditioned with a very nice bathroom. Breakfast is on the terrace overlooking the sea. Maria and her husband were very helpful. It is right next door to the Villa Rosa. I really was disappointed not to be staying the Villa Rosa until I saw the steps--many, many; I think someone said 84! That is a lot every time you return to your room. I was so glad we ended up in the California instead. We loved it.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Tom

Sandy - We stayed at Albergo California in June 2001. Ditto to everything Marty said. They also have a parking garage if you have a vehicle.
Regards - Tom

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Sandy

Thanks so much Marty and Tom. Marty-did you use Positano as a base to travel around? We will be there for 4 days and do not want to rent a car. Is there any place that I should not miss? Did you visit Capri or Ravello?

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:52 AM
marty

Sandy: We were so enchanted with Positano that we did not want to leave very much! I cannot believe there can be views much more beautiful than those from any terrace in Positano.We were there from Monday afternoon until Friday afternoon. We went to Pompeii one day by bus and train. We took a ferry to Capri. I would recommend Pompeii, but I really did not enjoy Capri very much. There was no comparison to the views in Positano. It was over run with tourists and the restaurants did not offer much view. I was actually pretty bored and was only there part of a day. Take a bathing suit, but no matter what shape you are in, do take a two piece. I spent the afternoon on the beach and was very self-conciously overdressed in my black one piece suit! Everybody young and old wore bikinis! Maria at the Hotel California will give you a towel for the beach. You do need shoes, because the beach is pebbles rather than sand. Let her book you for the restaurant at the top of the mountain. The food was very good, the views were breath-taking, and the restaurant sent a driver for for us. Let the owner bring your what he wants you to have. We had 7 or 8 courses with water and wine for about $35 each. Some other people at the hotel went to Paestam, and I am sorry we did not plan to do that. It is a four hour bus drive, but they thought it was definitely worth it.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:55 AM
GAC

Hint for future travelers: from Positano to Paestum, take the hydrofoil or ferry to Salerno (70 minutes), followed by the train or bus to Paestum. This is faster than taking the bus all the way from Positano.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 12:24 PM
henly

We have Italian friends that love Albergo California and return every summer for vacation. We stayed at Sirenuse, ehich was very luxurious, but next time I will opt for California.