Not Cannes

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 02:31 PM
joe

Not Cannes

My kids want a beach stop for a couple days between Cinque Terre and Paris. Can't afford Cannes. Has anyone been to La Grande Motte or Palavas le Flots? Prices seemed to be a lot lower there.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 04:46 PM
chauffeur

I don't know anything about those towns, but are you planning on driving to Paris from there in one day? It's about 500 miles and not much of it exactly fun or scenic.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 06:50 PM
joe

No, We have 4 or 5 days between Cinque Terre and Paris,

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 11:49 PM
lafrancaise

I would recommend staying in Nice, as it is most central in the Cote d'Azur and capital of the French Riviera. It is not as stuffy and pretentious as Cannes and has a variety of things to do that will please the whole family (i.e. Cours Saleya market; Matisse Museum in the Cimiez district w/ old Roman ruins nearby; the "Chateau" hill-top above Nice with beautiful views of the harbor and coastline; shopping and people-watching along the Boulevard des Anglais; fabulous Nicoise food spiced with a little Italian and French flavors, etc). You can make it a day trip into Cannes to see the famous Carlton Hotel and beach front shops, but other than that, not a whole lot that city can offer in terms of variety.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Robyn France

Greetings,

I concur with the above Nice recommendation. In fact, there a resorts outside of the city with pools and the like, as well as beach access--the beaches right along the promendade are very small and rocky, although plenty of people use them.

It has been 35 years since we used to go to Palavas, and it is a lovely beach. But nothing else to do there at the time. I was a University student at the time at Montpellier--.

Nice/Antibes area is so lovely and on your way to the Cinque Terre, try for a family hotel in that area--you would have lots more to do.

Take care,
Robyn France

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Wendy

Hi Joe,

Another vote for Nice. Some good options for your family might include one of the two Citadines properties there, esp. the one on Rue Buffa, which is a two-minute stroll from Promenade des Anglais and the sea. Have a wonderful time! Nice is one of my favorite cities.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 08:14 AM
joe

Thanks for the great ideas.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 10:25 AM
AHardie

Joe. I've just returned from that area and I would consider staying in Alassio which is about an hour's drive from the French border. The cost of living is lower there than in France and Alassio has an excellent beach (Nice is rocks not sand). I'm not sure how much it would cost to stay in a hotel there as we stayed for a week in a studio apartment just outside Alassio called 'Monte e Mare'.
I'm not saying dont stay in Nice, we also had an enjoyable stay there I'm just giving you another alternative.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Leslie

Joe - you might want to research Cavalaire-sur-Mer. This is a destination I've not been to, but recommended by a number of folks on this board when i inquired about good beach spots on the French Riviera for families.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 02:39 PM
joe

The other thing that enters into consideration is that I like to put a little road under my tires since the next stop is Paris. I thought going a little more west would shorten the ride to Paris from Cinque Terre

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 11:41 AM
kevin

I heard that Juan les Pins was nice, but I haven't been there.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 04:49 PM
Linda

Message Joe: Cannes doesn't have to be expensive: have been there twice and am returning with my 20yr old son next June. We're staying at Hotel Splendid,; it's right across from the Film Festival buildings and we're being charged 115 Euros/night for a twin room. Have stayed there before...very clean, spacious room with large bathroom. Also kitchenette behind louvred doors, large closet and room safe. Daily newspapers, umbrellas, parking arrangement with the underground garage at the Pantiero (5 min walk). You can eat very reasonably on the rue Menardier and pick up fresh fruit, etc ther and in the Marche Forvil (5 min walk). There are public beaches (no charge) as well as the paid ones right nearby. There is shopping to suit all pockets.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:53 AM
sophie

I can recommend CANNES SOLEIL real estate, which is specialized in apartments and villas rentals : www.cannes-soleil.com

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 12:09 PM
Patrick

Sophie, I saw your post and jumped to look at that site as I am thinking about a Cannes rental, myself. But I am confused as the site only seems to be about real estate sales, new deveopments, and "seasonal rentals", I'm not sure what that has to do with helping joe out for a couple of days on a budget. The site doesn't say much except to contact them, but hard to imagine from the pictures that this has any relation to a budget place to stay for a few days or even a week.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 12:12 PM
Patrick

Oh, when will I learn to put two thoughts together at one time?

joe, have you looked at Bandol? You didn't mention the age of your kids, but Bandol is a major beach place with a very young and lively feel. Lots of inexpensive places to rent there right along the beach and a very competitive row of inexpensive restaurants. Also fun things to do in the area.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:52 PM
Wyatt

La grande Motte, what crazy architecture.
The kids will love it. I imagined Mr. Tati there.