Search

Norway Itinerary and recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2016, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norway Itinerary and recommendations?

Hi All,

I will traveling with a friend for a week in Norway and wanted to get feedback on our itinerary. It is a lot of driving but we both want to see as much of the country as we can.

Also, if anyone has recommendations on places to stay at each of our destinations, let me know.

Thank you!

Day 1 - arrive in Oslo, explore the city and spend the night in Oslo
Day 2 - explore more of Oslo in the morning, then drive to Flam (5 hour drive), hopefully there is time for two stops in Sognefjord, Aurlandsfjord, spend the night in Flam
Day 3 - go on the RIB Safari through the fjords (3 hour tour), then drive to Lom & have a late lunch (2 hour drive), then drive north to Geirangerfjord (3 hour drive), stay in Geirangerfjord
Day 4 - explore Geiranger during the day; then drive to Alesund,(2 hour drive) stay in Alesund
Day 5 - explore Alesund in the morning, then drive to Bergen with stops (6 hour drive), stay in Bergen
Day 6 - explore & stay in Bergen
Day 7 - fly home out of Bergen
Old Jul 18th, 2016, 07:09 AM

In Bergen, there is a hospital that rents out their hotel section in the summer. This was half the price of other lodging choices in Bergen.
We loved Ulvik (small but beautiful) if that is on your way.

Don't miss the Viking museum and KonTiki museum in Oslo.
Old Jul 18th, 2016, 10:16 AM

My trip report covers part of what you plan to see. It might interest you; click on my name to find it.
Old Jul 23rd, 2016, 06:23 AM

I just returned from a road trip in western Norway which covered some of the territory you mention (but not Alesund). Personally, I think you may find your itinerary a little rushed. Roads in Norway can be narrow (in some places, one car must pull over in order to allow oncoming traffic to pass) with lots of hairpin turns in some sections, and speed limits never exceed 70-80 km/h except on the few freeways near Oslo. There are also many places to stop along the way, e.g., stave churches (in Lom or Ornes - the latter would require at least two hours because of the ferry ride). I am an amateur photographer and make frequent stops to take pictures, so I may take more time than most people, but perhaps you may want to reconsider parts of your trip.

By the way, I posted a trip report at: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...ar-Norway.html
Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 11:16 AM

Lunch at Lom can be excellent at Bakeriet i Lom, (Morten Schakenda's place)

http://www.bakerietilom.no/

You'll find that the drive from Olso to Flåm is more than 5 hours.

I'd stay at Elveseter hotel, close to Lom, and drive up to Hellesylt to take the ferry to Geiranger. A very scenic cruise through Geirangerfjord is included

Flåm I would skip. And add that day to Oslo. But the drive over Sognefjell to get to Lom is spectacular, so if it were me, I'd concentrate on that.

Alesund is lovely, and an occasion to have wider choice in restaurants and shopping. The Sunnmøre open air museum is really interesting, especially the ships.

I love Bergen, so enjoy!

In general you'll find that the drives are quite long, much longer than you factor in here.
Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 11:18 AM

I forgot to mention Fjellstua Restaurant on Mount Aksla, in Alesund. Gorgeous views, food so so.