Norway Itinerary - Advice Needed

Nov 10th, 2018, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Norway Itinerary - Advice Needed

Norway Road Trip - Itinerary

Name:  renderTimingPixel.png
Views: 86
Size:  67 BytesMy wife and I love to road trip and have planned a 4 day itinerary for May of 2019. Any feedback for the itinerary would be great, and I do have a few questions that I'm hoping someone with experience can answer. Thanks in advance for any feedback! We just love driving around and experiencing the beautiful views and nature. We aren't big hikers, but enjoy shorter walks. Thanks in advance for your input!

Questions:
  1. We are spending Friday night in Bergen. We need to be back to Oslo on Sunday evening. We are deciding whether to spend two nights in Bergen, or stay at Hotel Ullensvang in Lofthus to reduce the driving time on Sunday. Hotel Ullensvang seems beautiful, but would is there enough to do in Bergen to spend the additional night there and deal with the longer drive on Sunday? We don't mind the long drive.
  2. We are interested in a half day "Fjord Safari" excursion to see some of the fjords up close. Are there any that can be specifically recommended, or are they all pretty much the same? I think the best opportunity to do this would either be in Flam or Bergen.
  3. Any can't miss restaurants along our route?
Itinerary:

Thursday - Land in Oslo. Rent car and make our way to Flam for the night . Check out Aurland (Stegastein Viewpoint) and stay at Flamsbrygge Hotel.

Friday - Drive from Flam to Bergen. Check out Voss, Unredal. Stay at Hotel 13 in Bergen.

Saturday - Explore Hardangerfjord and area around Bergen. Either stay in Bergen for a second night or drive to Hotel Ullensvang for the evening.

Sunday - Drive back to Oslo. Explore Eidfjord, Mabodalen, Voringfossen and Geilo.

Last edited by MrMarsellus; Nov 10th, 2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Error in posting
Nov 10th, 2018, 05:22 PM

I wrote a trip report that included a road trip from Bergen to Trondheim--I think it was one day longer than you are planning. Click on my name to find it.
Nov 10th, 2018, 09:26 PM

I don't know if I would want to stay in Flåm, to be honest. Instead of exploring the Hardangerfjord, you might also want to drive across Hardangervidda. Quite spectacular.

Bergen is great, so I'd have no qualms about staying in Bergen, instead of decamping.
Nov 11th, 2018, 05:57 AM

Bergen is a great city. Don't miss taking the Fløibanen funicular.
It is a tram that takes you up to the top of the mountain and the views of the city are spectacular.
Nov 11th, 2018, 08:58 AM
mms

We loved Bergen and stayed for a couple of nights. I agree, the funicular is a must, but once up there there are loads of trails you can explore, which I highly recommend!

Search this Thread