Search

Northern Spain 8 days , car rental

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2023, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northern Spain 8 days , car rental

Hola friends!
We are flying from US to Santiago de Compostela, driving via a Coruna - Lugo_ Gijon_ Potes_ hike Picos de Europa- Santander- San Sebastián- Bilbao flying back .
we will have 8 days. Should we add or remove anything? Is it too much to see in 8 days? Would like to stop and smell the roses, not to run a race from place to place! Your advices are priceless!
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 11:57 PM

Eight days not counting arrival and departure days, or 8 days total, including arrival and departure days? Perhaps easier to know how many nights and where you plan to spend them.
When? Helpful to know arrival and departure times.
Any children along?
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 01:10 AM

I would skip Santander or have a quick drive-thru.
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 05:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Might as well make it ten;
Ferrol
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by cdnyul
Might as well make it ten;
Ferrol

I didi that once in the same time frame. We took the train to Santiago,stayed 2 nights, then rented a car and drove more or less the route you propose. It was not a good plan. We overnighted, as i recall, in near Ribiero, in Cangas del Onis, in Santillana del Mar, and ended up in San Sebastian for a couple of nights. We had fun but again,, I would not advise doing that. There was NO time to really explore, let alone to hike. And we did not include all the places you hope to visit, including Bilbao.

A few years ago we took a trip JUST to Asturias, and with 2 weeks, that a good, but not ideal, length of time. We flew into Oviedo, stayed there a few nights, and then rented a car. Most of the time we based in Cofino which we loved.

Another trip was to Getaria, Sebastian, and Bilbao....longer time, still not enough to really explore inland and do all I would have wished to do.

See if you can isolate one region: Galicia or Asturias or Basque country. Even then, 8 days is very short but would be much better than that long drive along the north coast. Can't see here what month iti would be, but maybe since Compostela is on the list, you could stay in Galicia; fly into Compostela and home from La Coruna, or some such. I posted a long planning thread here, about a proposed trip to Galicia. if you want to read it, I will try to find and post the link, or you can do a search.
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 08:51 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We loved our travel in the Basque regions of Spain and France.
There was only one place we wished that we had skipped, Santillana del Mar. It was crowded and very touristy, unlike the rest of the towns and cities we visited.
I would love to do this trip again!
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for response. Arriving to Santiago Sat 8/26, at 16.20,( not much time in a day left) , Leaving from Bilbao 9/3, Sunday 19.00.
After reading responses, we decide to concentrate on Galicia and Asturias, hike in Picos. Come back for more in future!
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

It is very helpful! I had that same feeling- too much running around . Will concentrate on Galicia and Asturias with hike in Picos. I would love your link to Galicia trip!
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by alexandrariabova7716
It is very helpful! I had that same feeling- too much running around . Will concentrate on Galicia and Asturias with hike in Picos. I would love your link to Galicia trip!

I think you have chosen wisely. Agree with HappyT; Santillana has beautiful architecture but being so small, and attracting so many tourists, that I wished we had stayed elsewhere and just seen the town in a 1-2 hour visit from another location. Would not recommend staying there overnight. Too many other options nearby that are more appealing.

I'd love to read more details on the new plan!!
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 10:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I loved Santillana Del Mar! Spent 2 or 3 nights. Left town in the morning to see other places but would come back in late afternoon. Most tourists were gone by then. Had a very enjoyable stay in a lovely hotel.
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 11:50 PM

The old quarter of Bilbao will have a very lively (and lovely) atmosphere during Sunday morning, just until lunch time (around 3pm on a weekend), full of friends and families enjoying the "aperitivo" while socializing in our many bars and squares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -