Northern Portugal

May 28th, 1997, 07:21 PM
Ed Kevelson

Northern Portugal

Thinking about Portugal, don't want to deal with the Algarve, would rather get the combination of mountians and beaches. How about the north?? Water too cold, beaches too rocky? Is August/September crowded even up there? Talk to me!

Jun 12th, 1997, 10:27 AM
Jennifer McGhee

We really liked the northern part of Portugal. We were there last October. We flew to Lisbon, then rented a car and drove to Figueira da Foz. It is a lovely area and the beach was one of the widest I have ever seen. The food was wonderful and the people we great. We then drove north, all the way to La Coruna in Spain. We toured the northern coast of Portugal on our way north and south. If you would tell me more of what you are interested in, I might be of more help. Porto is the 2nd largest city in Portugal, and the home of port wine. It is interesting to visit the wineries of the Douro valley. Let me know what you are leaning toward.
Jennifer McGhee

Jun 20th, 1997, 09:25 AM
RONALD DOBRYDNIO

WENT TO NORTHERN PORTUGAL LAST YEAR DRIVING. PORTO SOMEWHAT INTERESTING BUT YOU SHOULD CONTINUE TO THE AREA OF SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA, SPAIN AND THE LA CORUNA AREA NORTH OF THAT FOR GREAT BEACH IN THE LATTER. IF YOU ARE DRIVING STAY ON THE RIGHT FOR PORTUGUESE DRIVERS DRIVE LIKE BATS OUT OF HELL AND TAILGATE YOU WITHOUT LEAVING MORE THAN SIX INCHES BETWEEN VEHICLES. THE ACCIDENTS I OBSERVED IN THAT COUNTRY INVOLVED CARS THAT WERE STANDING VERTICALLY ON THEIR FRONT BUMPERS. VERY FRIGHTENING. IN SPAIN THEY DRIVE LIKE GENTLEMEN AND QUITE CIVILLY. PARKING TIGHT IN SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA - USE A GARAGE WHEN YOU ARRIVE AND WALK WHILE THERE. HAVE A NICE TIME.

Jul 8th, 1997, 12:19 PM
Maria

I've travelled to Northern Portugal several times. Beautiful country side. Porto is a very nice city keep going North via Viana do Castelo, this is a beautiful city right on the water and the beaches there are great. If you're driving from Lisbon be sure to stop in Nazare, this is another beautiful area right on the water and it has some great restaurants. This city is just north of Lisbon. Another nice area north of Porto is Povoa de Varzim, great beaches and restaurants.

Jul 9th, 1997, 05:23 PM
DAVID SNIDER

I READ YOUR REPLY TO NORTHERN PORTUGAL, I AM
PLANNING A TRIP TO PORTUGAL IN SEPTEMBER AND
I AM TRYING TO SET THE ITINERARY FOR A TWO WEEK
STAY. I DEFINITELY WANT TO GO TO PORTO AND THE
WINE COUNTRY, THEN PLAN ON DRIVING SOUTH TO LISBON,
FOR SOME TIME, FROM THERE I THOUGHT OF FLYING TO
MADEIRA FOR 3 DAYS, THEN BACK TO LISBON AND DRIVE
SOUTH TOWARD THE ALGARVE FOR THE BALANCE OF THE TRIP

ANY SUGGESTIONS, AS TO WHERE TO STAY AND GO AND HOW
MUCH TIME TO SPEND IN ANY THE PLACES

THANK YOU FOR ANY INSIGHT YOU COULD GIVE ME

Jul 9th, 1997, 11:17 PM
Joao MARTINS

Northern of Portugal is lovely. Living long time abroad I discovered last year my own country and people. North of Oporto (Porto) which is a monument itself, I suggest you to visit Braga (full of the most beautifull churches); Viana do Castelo (well known pilgrimage); Ponte de Lima; Guimaraes (where Portugal 'was born'). There are so many places, all of them rich with architecture and unspoilt traditions. There are many sandy beaches like Moledo ***** and Afife but Atlantic Ocean at this latitudes tends to be... cold! But go inland to "Serra do Geres" and visit the National Park. Windy roads, nature, wild animals, waterfalls, remote villages - Soajo, Pitoes das Junias - so many places to see and enjoy. Gastronomy is unique. I won't describe all them : go there and taste it all with the famous "vinho verde" (which can be red or white, believe me). Stay with the habitants, avoid large hotels or pensions! You will find a lot of "quintas" which rent rooms : check in the NET address http://www.infocid.pt/TurismoRural/ and enjoy it!

If you go to Portugal visit also *****CASTELO DE VIDE***** (near PORTALEGRE - Centre/East) hometown of my ancestors!

Jul 18th, 1997, 08:05 AM
victor fernandes

We are a Portuguese Travel Agency in business for the past 20 years. Need help in Portugal e-mail us
or call us at 508-934-9262

Jul 20th, 1997, 07:10 PM
Maypole

Having visited Oporto several times and lived in Espinho and worked in Oporto, I can second what the others are saying. Stay out of the expensive hotels. My wife and I were satisfied with the pensions. Every time you go to a new city stop at the Tourist Office first for info on places to stay and eat and the places to see. The wine is great. Try to find small neighborhood restaurants where only the Portuguese people eat. The history and the people of northern Portugal are great.

Jul 25th, 1997, 11:30 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

By northern Portugal I assume you mean non-
Algarve. The minho is unique and should be seen,
but do not miss Evora, marvao, nazare,Viano do
Castello, Braga, Sintra, and my favorite, Obidos.
I plan custom itineraries to Portugal for independent travellers. If you want real help to
plan your complete trip give me a holler. My 5
minute advice is free, my complete package is not.

Search this Thread