Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Spain- Sevilla to Sant Sebastian Suggestions?

Old Jun 8th, 1997, 12:36 AM
Meir

we r planning to go on trip to spain on october for about 3 weeks. we plan to see the south as well as the north. any information about the way sevilla - san sebastian as regarding to sights accomodation anything will be most welcome!!!
we intend to rent a car.
than to all

Old Jun 29th, 1997, 11:27 AM
julie

Old Jun 29th, 1997, 11:30 AM
julie

Roads are good in spain, for the most part. We have
traveled extensively in Spain. Seville is famous for
its pickpockets, so be careful. don't leave anything visable in your car. Get Karen Brownn's book on spain. Has good iteneries and list of wonderful places to stay. She has never let us down. Weather can be hot. A working knowledge of Spainish is helpful but not essential. People are friendly, for the most part. They all stay up to all hours. Menus are limited, prices high, but we picnic as much as possible. Have fun!!!

Old Jun 30th, 1997, 01:01 AM
Jens

Try to visit the famous towns of Central Spain on the way. I can recommend Toledo, Salamanca, Segovia and Avila. You vill see incredible castles, cathedrals, universities and other beautiful buildings plus great town walls and the odd aqueduct. The ambiance is very pleasant. Of course there is always Madrid, too, but that (with the Prado etc) would take a lot of time. Try to get a good quide-book.
Enjoy your trip.

Old Jul 1st, 1997, 07:43 PM
Lisa

I toured southern Spain a few years ago, including a visit to Sevilla, which is a beautiful city. Nearby Carmona is worth a visit for the Roman Necropolis there. The highlight of my trip, however, was the Alhambra in Granada. The Mezquita in Cordoba is also worth a stop if you get close, and Merida has some outstanding Roman ruins, but that will probably be out of your way. I also recommend a stop in at least one of southern Spain's charming "white towns", such as Arcos de la Frontera. Read James Michener's "Iberia" to get a better understanding of Spain; it greatly enhanced my visit.

Old Jul 1st, 1997, 07:44 PM
Lisa

I toured southern Spain a few years ago, including a visit to Sevilla, which is a beautiful city. Nearby Carmona is worth a visit for the Roman Necropolis there. The highlight of my trip, however, was the Alhambra in Granada. The Mezquita in Cordoba is also worth a stop if you get close, and Merida has some outstanding Roman ruins, but that will probably be out of your way. I also recommend a stop in at least one of southern Spain's charming "white towns", such as Arcos de la Frontera. Read James Michener's "Iberia" to get a better understanding of Spain; it greatly enhanced my visit.

Old Jul 3rd, 1997, 06:55 AM
manuel ( Canary Is.)

Sevilla : spectacular. Don't miss "Spain Square", Giralda, Torre del Oro, Murillo's Gardens, and all the old Judería. Hotels : Alfonso XIII (5* luxury ), or "Doña María" (3*, classy and charming, in front of Giralda ).
Few kms. outside Sevilla, a wonderful hotel but expensive "Hacienda de Benazuza".
In the way to/from the North don't miss : CORDOBA, TOLEDO, SEGOVIA, AVILA,and MADRID.
San Sebastián: for spanish people like me it is probably the nicest city in our country. Nice architecture, beautiful monuments, exquisite food (the province concentrates the big quantity of best restaurants of Spain ), wonderful beach, classy people and very funny nights and ambience. Hotels: MARIA CRISTINA (5* luxury) and HOTEL LONDRES (4* moderate) or HOTEL NIZA(3*classy, property of famous sculptor Chillida), these two in front of "La Concha" beach.
More information from my e-mail.

Old Jul 22nd, 1997, 03:41 PM
Julie

One final thought re: Spain. If you can, you must go to the North of Spain...I think it is the world's best kept travel secret. Veryold world, historical,
i.e., Santiago de Compostela, Austuria, the Basque country, etc. A different historical background, much Celtic influence, i.e., bagpipe music, dances, kilts, etc, rustic and friendly, but no speak much english, so be prepared. Good paradors, mountains are stupendous, food is heavy. people are very curious about us, and friendly. Weather is misty and green, much like the Pacific NW where we live. Bon voyage and keep in touch. Tell us how it was. p.s. we rented a car and had NO trouble.

Old Jul 25th, 1997, 01:24 PM
Meir Jacob

To Julie
I got your re: Spain from 7/22, and tried to answer directly to you using the E-mail at the top of your message. Allas, i was informed that it is wrong and the mail can't b sent.
please call my E-Mail I have some more questions
Thanx
Avital & Meir