Search

Northern lights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 07:45 PM
Christie

Northern lights

I know this is a weird question but I am really keen on seeing the Northern Lights in Norway. How frequently does it occur? For example, if I am on a one-week trip to Northern Norway, am I likely to be able to see the lights?

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 11:36 PM
Kaja

Hi Christie, <BR>I can't give you a scientific answer of your question, but you have to go in the winter and the sky has to be clear. <BR>The best chance is if you go to the northernmost counties (Troms and Finmark). <BR>You should also get out on the countryside to observe the northern lights since all the light from the towns "steals" some of the view. <BR>You could get more info on these pages on the Northern Lights Planetarium in Tromsų. http://www.uit.no/npt/homepage-npt.en.html <BR>I have lived in Northern Norway a few years ago, and I have seen the Northern Lights a lot of times. It is really beautiful! <BR>Good luck, <BR>Kaja

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 03:02 AM
frank

You get more/better displays following sunspot maxima or anything increasing the ion winds. This is a good year for sunspots-find out when the maxima are(I think 18 hours is the transit time, I could be wrong.

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 08:26 AM
lola

Not a weird question at all. The Northern lights are unforgettable. I saw them in September, in Alaska on a cruise. Go out of your way to observe this remarkable phenonenon, whether in Norway or anywhere far north.

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 12:58 PM
Joanna

I too saw the Northern Lights, or Aurora Borealis, in September, but in the Arctic Circle in Norwegian waters aboard the Hurtigruten. The lights were green and swirling. Very impressive!

Old Feb 9th, 2000, 06:59 AM
David

Christie, <BR> <BR>I live in Minnesota and have seen the Northern Lights a few times during the summer, when the sun is closest to the earth. Solar activity is key. The lights I've seen where mostly green. <BR>Also get as far away from any city lights as possible. The phenom can be very subtle and move very slowly. I had a friend from Atlanta thought he was having a 60's flashback until I explained what was up.

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 02:43 PM
Linda

Hi Christie - I'm also interested in seeing the Northern Lights. I'd appreciate it if you let me know how your trip turns out if you decide to go. Thanks. P.S. Tried to e-mail you at the above address but it didn't go through.

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 03:24 PM
Kristy

How about Iceland? I am going to Reykjavik in late March and I'm wondering, what are my chances of seeing the Northern Lights? Has anyone seen the Northern Lights in Iceland? Or anywhere near the Arctic Circle at this time of the year (end of March)? Thanks!