Reload this Page >

Restuarants in Edinbrough & Scotland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2000, 09:15 AM
Bill

<BR>Will be in Edinbrough for three days, and then touring Scotland for about ten days, by <BR>car. Have a pretty good idea of itinerary <BR>but if anyone has specific info on really good restuarants or great B & B's I would <BR>appreciate hearing from you. <BR> <BR>Sincerely, <BR>Bill Osborne

Old Jan 21st, 2000, 01:29 PM
Sheila

Bill <BR> <BR>Edinburgh is easy. The problem is choice. My all time favourite restaurant is The Marque in causeway side. the new restaurant at the Hub inthe Tron at the top of the High street is very good. Viva Mexico in Cockburn Street is great. the anarkali is a very good veggie Indian in Nicolson Street. Est est es in george Street is good as is the Siam Erewan in the New Town. <BR> <BR>Cafe Vittoria is a great Italian cafe in Leith Walk and the tea shop at Valvona & Crolla is super too (tho' not as good as the shop IMHO). The caffs at the National Museum of Scotland and the City Arts centre are both pretty good too. <BR> <BR>The Witchery gets a good name but I've never been there; and the atrium is meant to be absolutely the best but can't afford it. <BR> <BR>Outside Edinburgh, Scotland is quite big. Want to share your itinerary and we'll try to give you good recommendations en route? Or do you only intend to go where the food is good? <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2000, 04:39 AM
henry

Bill,I would recommend the Withchery very good but expensive.I also recomend an Italian resturant Orcidea,not sure of spelling,also very good.Enjoy.

Old Jan 24th, 2000, 05:28 AM
Diane

In Edinburgh - if you like Chinese, Loon Fung is great. The lemon chicken is great, and supposedly the crispy <BR>duck although I've never tried it. <BR> <BR>In the Highlands - near Loch Ness, the Glen Moriston Inn serves wonderful meals meals. We like to stay there also, but a bit in on the pricy side.

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 04:43 AM
Molly Donnelly

Bill, for good Scottish food, try either Stac Polly on Grindlay Street off of Lothian Road and near the Lyceum Theatre or on Dundas Street. Don't go to Est Est Est, the food is mediocre, the service is lousy and it's hard to get a reservation anyway. My personal favorite is Peter's Cellars on Williams Street. Bring your own wine to save a pound or two. Also, The Vintners Room in Leith has exquisite Scottish food but is fairly expensive. There you can get blood pudding and/or some sort of haggis if you're willing to try some! Also in Leith is The Waterfront and next to that is Skippers. I've had excellent meals at both and the atmosphere in Leith is fun. For a good pub experience, try The Cask and Still on Broughton Street for hand pulled pints. I would also second the Atrium for all around good food. For a less costly option, you can get meals all day long at Dix Neuf on Hanover Street in the center of town. (It's not at 19 Hanover Street, though. I have no idea why they call it Dix Neuf.) They have a Beef and Guinness pie that is to die for there and a terrific wine list. We've also walked in there at 10:30 at night for a meal so it's always a good late night option. Any of these are outstanding options, but unfortunately, they are all in Edinburgh. I can't think of places I've been outside of the city. Good Luck! Bon Appetit!

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 06:43 AM
S C. DIXON

High quality pub-grub is to be had at DEACON BRODY'S on Prince's Way. Reasonable prices, good portions, good service. Feel sporting? try the tatty's, neeps, and haggis (potatoes, turnips and sheep innards...)

Old Feb 13th, 2000, 04:33 PM
Joana

WE ere in Scotland 3 years and stayed in a wonderful B&B in Edinburgh - The Tivotdale House 0131 6674376 - excellent B&B - In Loch Ness - we stayed in Drumnadrochit we stayed at the Borlum Farmhouse 0145 450358 - great B&B, right by Urqhart Castle; These were both really nice and centrally located - If you do get down to ayrshire by Troon and Turnberry - another BB&B is Bremalder right on the A77 Dunfoot - 01292 44393 - Great for touring Robert Burns country - Have a wonderful time!!!!!

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 03:04 AM
Frank

Glasgow Food: <BR>Glasgow city centre: Gamba, West Regent Street (seafood);fairly new. <BR> <BR>"the Bistro" - enter via the Drum & Monkey, an upmarket bar in Renfield St., <BR>restaurant is at the back.Well established but still excellent. <BR> <BR>West end (university)(Gibson St)- Stravaigin' <BR> <BR>If you post specific towns, you'll get <BR>lotsa info. <BR> Beware well known spots trading on reputation, try to find out what is good NOW, ask informants "when were you last there?" <BR>

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 03:37 AM
Maira

Enthusiastically second the DEACON BRODIES recommendation. This pub-restaurant (upstairs) was the former residence of the real life man who inspired the novel "Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde". Great food and fun ambience. <BR> <BR>In or around Inverness-Loch Ness area you have to try The Beaufort House, sort of across (up a bit on your left) of the Inverness Castle. Their food was FANTASTIC. We stayed three days at the adjacent Inn, ate at The Beaufort every day. Service was impecable, the food was outstanding, never ordered a bad meal.

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 03:47 PM
jeff

Bill, <BR> My favorite restaurant in Edinburgh is The Marque. It is fantastic! The food is wonderful and the service is first rate. I have also eaten at The Witchery and enjoyed the ambience, but the meal was very expensive. The food was very good of course, but at The Marque you get more for your dollar. Have a great trip. Scotland is a great place to explore castles and see some beautiful countryside.