Search

Northern Cyprus

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 12:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northern Cyprus

I'm planning a week in Northern Cyprus (Kyrenia) over Christmas (self and DH). At the moment the Dome Hotel looks favourite, although I've also looked at the Colony and Grand Rocks. Has anyone here stayed at any of these hotels who could offer me any comments? I definitely want somewhere in Kyrenia town centre, as I don't think we'll be spending time on the beach in December! Also, as I'm currently recuperating from major surgery, I don't want anywhere too basic, as I'd like to feel a lttle pampered.

Another question - I've read that hotels in N Cyprus have the right to confiscate any food and drink brought in from outside - has anyone had any experience of this? I wouldn't like to waste money bringing in a bottle ot two of duty free for evening tipples and then have them confiscated
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

ttt and also another question:-

We'd like to stock up on Greek Metaxa brandy whilst there and presume that this isn't widely available in the North? As we'll be hiring a car for a few days, does anyone know of anywhere we can cross over the green line on foot, with a handy supermarket nearby please?
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 02:30 AM

dome is very nice hotel, try the harbour club restaurant for a nice dinner, you can crossthe green line in nicosia you cannot howener take your car across unless this has changed in the last 6 months
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks John

I don't think the rules have changed - everything I've read seems to indicate that hire cars can only stay in the part of Cyprus they originate from - so it looks like we'll be heading for Nicosia!
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 02:11 PM

Xenos,

Please do a trip report on your visit to Kyrenia when you get back. We stayed a winter on our boat in Kyrenia many years ago and I still think of it as one of the most charming places on earth.

I sailed the boat to Greece just before the Turks invaded, and my (then) wife and four kids stayed behind -- to be caught in the fighting. Had a very bad time before being evacuated by the British.

Anyway the town, as it was then, lives on in my memory. I'd love to hear your impressions.

Have a wonderful trip.

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Nukesafe

You must have very mixed feelings about Kyrenia! I'm hoping that this will be a very relaxed holiday, prior to my return to work, but we do hope to get out and about for a few days, so will do a report and hopefully upload some photos on my return for you to compare with how it was when you were there.