North Umberland

Jan 24th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

North Umberland

In May we are renting a cottage in Ingram, Breamish Valley, on the edge of North Umberland National Park. Looking for interesting walks & understand there is an island we could visit that is the home of the grey seals. Any suggestions or points of interest that we may want to check out. We usually do not like real touristy things.
Thinking of checking out Alnwick Castle, both of us (two adults) are Harry Potter Fans. We will have a car.
On Thursday of that week we will be taking the train into London to attend the Eric Clapton concert at Royal Albert Hall, considering getting the train in New Castle. Anyone know if there is another station that would closer.
Jan 24th, 2006, 09:59 AM

Not sure about the grey seal island, but you may want to look into Holy Island. We enjoyed Warkworth Castle, but didn't make it as far as Alnwick.

Make arrangements to turn your car in at the airport in Newcastle. You can take the metro from the airport to the central train station to get your train to London. If you need to stay overnight in Newcastle, the Royal Station Hotel is adjacent to the train station. It wasn't much on atmosphere, but you could not beat it for convenience to catch a train the next morning.
Jan 24th, 2006, 10:41 AM

Hi, you are visiting a lovely part of the country. It is actually Northumberland (all one word). Might help when you google!
I too recommend Lindisfarne (also known as Holy Island). You cross by car when the causeway is not covered with water, but check the tide table before you cross, as otherwise your stay on the island could be longer than you anticipated!
A beautiful walk to haunted Dunstanburgh Castle can be found by following this link
http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/walk...d/index2.shtml
It is walk 199, although you may find the other Northumberland ones interesting, especially 805.
Near Dunstanburgh is the tiny village of Craster, famous for its kippers. You can smell them being smoked as you walk in the village. The Jolly Fisherman Pub in Craster is a great place for lunch.
The local tourist offices always have maps and local walks - might be worth writing to them in advance.
Don't miss the new gardens at Alnwick.
www.alnwickgarden.com
The seal colony is on the Farne Islands, not far from Lindisfarne. Have a look at
www.farne-islands.com
Bamburgh Castle is also magnificent.
www.bamburghcastle.com
By the way, I have tickets to see Eric Clapton too, when he is playing in Manchester. Can't wait!
M
Jan 24th, 2006, 10:48 AM

I think you may mean the Farne Islands.

have a look at thisbr />
http://www.farne-islands.com/

As I understand it you're going to London and then coming back? That being the case, you're closer to Berwick than Newcastle, and you'll find it easier to negotiate.

Don't miss the glories of the Scottish Borders whilst you're in Northumberland.

And
Jan 24th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

This is for Sheila...we will be driving to Northumbrland from Edinburgh after spending a week in Aberfeldy, our second visit.
Thank you Morgana & XXX. We've never been to this part of the UK and looking forward to it. We are both (my daughter & I ) are big Eric Clapton fans. We had the good fortune of seeing the Cream Reunion at RAH last May and again at Madison Square Garden in October. We will be returning to Northumberland from London but will be going back again two days later to spend about 4 days in London. Thanks again
Jan 24th, 2006, 03:17 PM

Let me know if you want my Loch Tay stuff (or have I already given it to you?
Jan 25th, 2006, 06:15 AM

There are some great walks around Beamish. I went with my friends in the winter.
Farne Islands is great for seals. Been scuba diving with them there, but you should see plenty of them from the Billy Sheil Boat. Trips from the Harbour at Seahouses. If you land during nesting season (I think May is a bit early for the main influx of terns) make sure you have a hat, and even better carry a rolled up umbrella over your head.

I think I have some photos of the seals on my blog.

http://spaces.msn.com/members/simonru/

Northumberland is great... many more castles to see than just Alnwick.

You can get the fast train from Durham. Just as easy from Beamish.

I think you'll find Northumberland hasn't gone too touristy yet. Holiday makers yes, but not too many tourists.

Make sure you visit the Norman cathedral at Durham. There're some nice walks along the river. Chopwell woods are a nice day out. The Roman Wall is a must see... Housteads is the best place to see it. Coast walks are plentyfull... park up at Craster and walk to Dunstanborough Castle.

There's a sculpture walk somewhere near Beamish but can't remember where it is. Drop me a mail and I can send you some winter photos from around Beamish!

Jan 25th, 2006, 06:30 AM

Sorry! Breamish! Not Beamish! My mistake.
Jan 25th, 2006, 06:43 AM

Ah yes - a lot of difference between Beamish and Breamish!
I really like the open air museum at Beamish though!
www.beamish.org.uk
Jan 26th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the suggestions, have already looked into info on Dunstanburgh & Bamburgh Castles & will look into Farne Island.
Pambavu....the 2 pictures of the seals were wonderful, thanks.
Sheila, you probably did send me your Tay Valley info, but if you don't mind I would appreciate it again. Also one of my son-in-laws will be on this trip & it's his first trip to Scotland, he is interested in fishing, any idea the cost of a permit? Also he has interest in salmon fishing, any suggestions for the area we will be in (Aberfeldy)
Jan 27th, 2006, 01:28 PM

Are you sure it is North Umberland and not North Ampton, or Nor Wich ??????????
Jan 28th, 2006, 05:04 AM

I'll try to remember to send you the Tay stuff.

The Tay is Scotland's foremost salmon river.

have a look at this:-http://www.fishingnet.com/beats/kenmore.htm
Jan 28th, 2006, 11:12 PM

There's also great castles at Warkworth (and have lunch at The Greenhouse)... and Alnwick (pronounced a-nick) is nice. Not just The Harry Potter Experience! Also look out for the bottles in the shop window and the legend attached!) For a lovely village by the sea Alnmouth (pronounced Alan-Mouth) is good. If you can, visit the Friary and joing the Fransiscans for prayers... the chapel is a converted ballroom with breathtaking view over the bay. Then a lunchtime drink at The Red Lion.

There's a really nice valley near where you are which you need a permit to take a car up...

College Valley
One of the most awe-inspiring valleys in the Cheviot Hills , and some say the most unspoilt. This tranquil and open valley provides walking routes to the Cheviot summit, the Schill, Red Cribs and Pennine Way .
Four fantastic Hillfort Heritage Trails have been created to enable you to explore the rich archaeology that you literally stumble over. Many of these trails provide outstanding views of the Valley itself. ' A Beautiful Highland Place ' costs just £2.00 and is available from all National Park Centres or by direct order.
Please note, these walks are strenuous and go through wild country where the weather can change quickly. Wear good walking boots and take warm waterproof clothing with you. Always let someone know the route you plan to walk and when you expect to get back. Mobile phones may not work in the hills.
There is limited car access beyond the car park at Hethpool. The College Valley is privately owned, but about 12 cars a day are allowed up the valley except at lambing time, April to end of May. For a car permit please contact Sale & Partners on 01668 281611
Jan 28th, 2006, 11:15 PM

Also on fishing....

Salmon Fishing
The River Tweed is famous throughout the world for its Salmon, Sea Trout and Grilse fishing. Sale and Partners manage four fishing lets on the Tweed; Dryburgh, Tweedhill, Tillmouth and Pedwell. Fishing is mostly by fly, with fish from 4lbs to 30lbs. The majority of nets were removed from the river in 1988 and it is expected that catches will continue to improve. The season runs from February 1st to November 30th. For further information please contact Sale & Partners on 01668 280803.