Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Visit Chatsworth or Sissinghurst without a car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2003, 05:12 AM
JMyra

Hi
Do any of you have info or experience with visiting Chatsworth House in England, particularly for people who will not be driving? Ditto Sissinghurst? Are either of these doable as daytrips from London or from any other transport hub?
thank you

Old Aug 11th, 2003, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sissinghurst is in Kent which is nearer to London. The gardens are owned by the National Trust (www.nationaltrust.org.uk) and transport details are on their web site. The nearest station is Staplehurst which has a half-hourly train from London Charing Cross, taking about one hour (www.nationalrail.co.uk). From Staplehurst, there are hourly buses to Sissinghurst, taking 12 minutes (www.internet.xephos.com). It is then apparently a mile and quarter to the gardens.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 06:53 AM

Chatsworth would be a difficult day trip even by car. You could take the train to Chesterfield or Matlock and a cab or local bus from there. But it would be a very long day trip.

GeoffHamer gave you info re Sissinghurst. But because of the sporadic bus service I'd probably opt for a cab - it is only about 6 miles from Staplehurst station to Sissinghurst.

OR - you could look for a guided tour of Kent gardens from London - there used to be a couple of companies that did day trips that combined Sissinghurst with Scotney and Bodiam. maybe a web search would turn something up.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 09:23 AM
JMyra

How about seeing Chatsworth if I were heading south from Edinburgh toward London? Does that make it any easier, even with an overnight spent somewhere?

Old Aug 11th, 2003, 11:00 AM

Sure - that would make a big difference. You could take the train to Chesterfield and visit Chatsworth -- staying in a local B&B. Then carry on to London the next day.

Is it specifically Chatsworth you want to visit - or just wanting to see a major statelt home? If the latter - another option would be to take the train to York and visit Castle Howard. Overnight in York and go on to London the next day.

Both Castle Howward and Chatsworth are really wonderful places to visit.

If you visit Chatsworth - it would be really great if you could get over to Hardwick Hall as well. It is about 5 miles SE of Chesterfield. It is one of the most interesting properties in England and Bess of Hardwick was a fascinating character.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 11:36 AM

JMyra, I checked the Chatsworth website and they say it is 30 minutes by taxi from the station at Chesterfield. Should have good connections from Edinburgh.

You can check this website:
http://www.dalespeaktours.co.uk/index.html

I'd email them to ask if they have any tours that would be appropriate.

Looks a wonderful place to visit so I hope you can make it.

Old Aug 11th, 2003, 11:48 AM
JMyra

Thank you to those who responded.
I've been to Castle Howard, loved it, hope to go again some day.
Chatsworth also has a history and a beauty that I've wanted to see, I certainly hope to get there one way or another. The Duchess of Devonshire recently published a coffee table book on Chatsworth.

Old Aug 11th, 2003, 03:11 PM

I've been looking for a 3 to 5 day tour of the "stately" homes of England and haven't found anything. You can rent a driver but that would be so expensive. Maybe an English friend? My husband didn't have great luck driving in the U K.