Normandy tour reco: Overlord Tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2023, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We beyond highly recommend! We just spent 2 days of our time in the Bayeaux area with Guillaume as one of the most exceptional guides we’ve ever met. We spent day 1 learning about DDay and he helped us understand the region and the details with perspective and insight. Our teens left with an understanding of the events and an appreciation for the tour - he was able to address them as teenagers and understood their questions and temperament. My husband’s grandfather landed the day after DDay and spoke little of the event so Guillaume helped us to better understand his experiences and also his reluctance to discuss elements of his time in the war. Will be able to share what we learned along with our photos with my mother in law, who cannot travel, making it even more meaningful as well.
We spent day 2 learning more about Mont Saint Michel and the surrounding area. I have wanted to see this since I was a teenager in French class where this part of the world seemed so so far away. Getting to walk around the Abbaye with my family was truly a travel dream come true. Our return to Bayeaux also allowed us the chance to see the Bayeaux Tapestry as well - yet another unbelievable historical moment realized.
For context, this is our last major trip for a while as a family as our children are moving out and moving on so to be able to get to this part of the world and create such memories was made a reality with the help of Overlord and Guillaume. They patiently helped us to plan considering our time constraints and itinerary preferences. If you have the chance to do so, book and experience, you will not be disappointed.
Old Dec 23rd, 2023, 01:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to Fodors

Just because I'm a nosy idiot what is your mother tongue?
Old Dec 23rd, 2023, 10:32 PM
Original Poster

English We teach in international schools and have lived in 5 countries now so we’re definitely an interesting mix at times.
Old Jan 14th, 2024, 01:22 PM

I also took a full day Overlord Tour of the Normandy D-Day beaches several years ago. So I second Currie's recommendation. This is the group that organized the 50th anniversary of D-Day. They are very knowledgeable.