Reload this Page >

Normandy Omaha Beach

Search

Normandy Omaha Beach

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Jim

Normandy Omaha Beach

I'll be visiting the grave of someone I know in the Normandy American Cemetary.<BR>Could you help me with where to stay and are there tour guides availiable.<BR><BR>Thank You <BR>Jim, Chicago<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Tammy

You might want to consider staying in the near by town of Bayeux. I didn't take a guided tour of the beaches, but if you do a search on this site, there is one person that comes highly recommended, but I can't think of his name.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Lisa

Jim,<BR><BR>There is much information on this site relating to your question. Search on "Normandy" as the word in the "text search" box at the top of the page, then hit the "Find" button. <BR><BR>I recently returned from Normandy and filed a trip report under "Paris and Normandy Trip Report". This will get pulled up when you do your search. There's alot of info. there about this area. <BR><BR>I agree with Tammy in that you could consider Bayeux as a base. There are many good choices for hotels as a home-base for your trip. <BR><BR>The tour guide to whom Tammy is referring is Colonel Chilcott. You can do a search on "Chilcott" as well. <BR><BR>Happy Travels,<BR><BR>Lisa<BR><BR>Lisa

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Jim

Lisa<BR>I can find where to type in Normandybut can't find the find button. <BR>Help Jim

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:17 AM
Lisa

At the top of the page, next to the box that says "and/or subject search" there is the red FIND button. Ignore that second box about subject search. <BR><BR>Did it work? <BR><BR>Lisa

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Rachele

We stayed in Bayeux in May at Hotel d'Argourges. Really nice, and about $80 a night, including a nice breakfast. We took a half-day tour with a company called Bus Fly. I think it's called Normandy Tours now. It was really good and our tour guide Paul was excellent. It's a really interesting place -- we thought Normandy was beautiful.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 10:10 AM
jj

I wholeheartedly agree with the other folks who recommended Bayeux. It was a really nice little town. We were there last month and stayed at the Churchill, which was a nice hotel. We tried to get in at d'Argouges, but it was booked. We didn't do any organized tours, but had a great time striking out on our own.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:25 PM
David

I agree with all that has been said with one caveat. We took bus fly tour and the guide asked if anyone was there to visit a certain grave at the cemetery; no one indicated they were, but I assume the guide would have been able to assist in locating it. However, the tour only gave us about 35 minutes at the cemetery which is not very long; especially if you plan on visiting a particular grave.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Bob

You should be able to locate the grave of the person you want to see on the web. Search around under US Military, then search for cemetaries, etc. and you will find something.<BR><BR>The reason I know this is that I wanted to visit my Uncle's grave in the US cemetary in ST James France when we were in the area. I was able to find his name and location of his grave on the internet before we went to France. Once at St James I walked right to the spot.<BR><BR>One thing they did for us at the cemetary is that as a direct decendant of the deceased the local American caretaker took me back out to the grave, filled the white letters with wet sand to make them stand out, took a Polaroid photo of the grave stone with an American flag in front. He then printed a small folder to keep the photo in and gave me the flag. No charge for anything. All part of the US honoring their dead and the families that visit. The wet sand in the letters made the photo really stand out better than the one I took without the sand. They have all the materials ready as they do it frequently for visitors.<BR><BR>Be sure to check in the office when you are at your cemetary. I did not know nor expect that this would happen and I was lucky I went inside the office to answer a simple question. The guard that helped me also allowed me to leave my Uncle's 1st Lt. bars in the grass at the base of the stone. I never knew his as he was killed before I was born but I always told my grandmother I would visit the area some day as she had never been able to. It was a very moving experience and brought Normandy and the war very close and personal.