Reload this Page >

Normandy----Deauville or Honfleur?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2002, 12:32 PM
bobbie

We will be spending 4 nights in the Normandy area the end of June.<BR><BR> We already know we want to spend 2 nights in Bayeux but we can't make up our minds about our other base.<BR><BR>Should we stay 2 nights in Deauville or Honfleur?<BR><BR>We plan to visit both places but<BR>which one has more to do at night after dinner? <BR><BR>We are seniors so we are not looking for the bar scene.<BR><BR>Please let me know your thoughts about each place.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for any help<BR><BR>Bobbie

Old May 6th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Therese

Okay, I'm sort of stumped here. You want to go out after dinner, but you aren't into the bar scene? You mean you aren't into a young bar scene, but would like something more like a lounge or piano bar? Because other than walking around, going to the cinema (cinema's a big deal in Deauville, they have a film festival), or going to something that is at least somewhat bar-like I can't think of much to do in the evenings. <BR><BR>Honfleur and Deauville are quite different. You are likely to feel more comfortable in Deauville (in June, anyway, though the season doesn't really get rolling until July) if you generally feel comfortable with the wealthy: Deauville was constructed expressly for rich Parisians (referred to as "les soixante-quinze" by locals, generally under their breath), and retains this ambience. Honfleur was a fishing village, then a painter's haunt, and now a tourist magnet. Much more old Normandy feeling, less (upscale) beach resort.

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:34 PM
Judy

I stayed in Honfleur several nights last March.It is a charming old fishing port with many good restaurants. Besides having a good dinner and taking some promenade, I am afraid there wasn't anything else to do in the night.But, since I am not a party person, I did enjoy the place very much.

Old May 9th, 2002, 08:50 PM
Joe

Stay in Hornfleur, visit Deauville in the morning during the market (not sure if it is everyday). In june. it will be light quite late. So, everybody walks after dinner. Walk up the hill overlooking the town for some good views. It is a very pretty little village, especially the narrow houses around the marina.