Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

10 days in Northern Spain& France-any ideas?

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:04 PM
sharon

We are we have 10 days and want to stick to the northern part of Spain and want our time in France not to be in Paris. Does any one have any ideas?

Old May 7th, 2002, 10:46 PM
Ana

Hi Sharon:

Well, keeping in mind that I don't know what sort of activities you like to partake in...

If you like museums, you should pop in to the Guggenheim in Bilbao - really something, and then maybe go to San Sebastian. I have recommended it before on this forum, it's really beautiful, especially in the warmer months when you can lie on the beach.

What time of year are you planning on being there?
If you are going in July, you can maybe see the festival of San Fermin in Pamplona (7th July).

Post some more details and I will try to be more helpful.
Regards,
Ana

Old May 8th, 2002, 05:01 AM
Keith

As you're going to be in N Spain, it would seem to make sense to stick to the south west of France (the Pyrenees area.) You could visit the beaches at St Jean de Luz and Biarritz and enjoy some good seafood, or head a bit further north to the walled city of Carcassonne.

I'd also suggest Pamplona and San Sebastian, or you could head to the Mediterannean coast and Barcelona.

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:52 AM
elvira

The southeast of France has a lot to offer as well - nice beaches, a Cathar history, castles, wineries, Catalan culture.

Southcentral France is Aquitaine/Languedoc, and it too has lots to offer - walled towns, fortified castles and abbeys, ancient history, outdoor sports (canoeing, horseback riding, hiking, walking, etc.)

Old May 9th, 2002, 09:49 PM
sharon

Thanks to those who responded to my question. We are travelling at the end of May. Have any of you been to Salamanca, Burgos, Segovia, Avila or Leon? We are thinking of using Valladoid as a base to see these places. In general we like interesting towns, beautiful architecture, good food and people watching. We dislike tourist traps. Any more ideas. I fear that San Sebastian is too tourist oriented.