Search

No special food on KLM European Business class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2017, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No special food on KLM European Business class

Hi everyone,

I received the following confirmation from KLM that they do not offer any special food on non- transatlantic flights, even not for European business class passengers. As a person with coeliac disease I find it quite annoying. If you also would like this to be changed, please email them, so that they change this policy... Thanks!

"I am sorry to hear that the food in Business Class on European flights is not suitable due to your
dietary restrictions.

At the moment, there is no planning to offer special meals on European flights. We appreciate your
feedback though, and if this suggestion is made by more passengers, it may be taken into
consideration.

We do hope we can still welcome you on board of one of our KLM flights soon.

Kind regards,

Vanessa
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines"
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 08:05 AM

Have you flown intra-European business class before? It's basically they block the seat next to you. I've never heard of any airline that serves special meals for an hour or two flight within Europe. There may be some, but it's not very common.
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 08:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Well over 30 years ago, I flew BA from LHR to the South of France somewhere, a flight of about 90 mins. No food was offered at all, nor any tea or coffee. About 45 mins into the flight I felt thirsty and asked for the glass of water and was told to get it myself.

My expectations were therefore adjusted downwards and I have never had any reason to readjust them in the opposite direction.

That said, I think that where food is offered, and advance warning is given, not to offer a coeliac option is pretty poor - it's not as if it's an unusual request. And given what you've presumably paid, the extra £2 it might cost them is peanuts, not to mention the poor publicity.
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 08:34 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. I honestly don't think many people (even other coeliac disease sufferers) would get all that worked up about this. Most Intra-Europe flights aren't all that long so one won't starve if they can't eat the offerings. You can always pick up something to eat at the departure airport.
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi there,

we'll travel to the US in business class and as part of that trip the initial flight to Amsterdam (~2,5 hours) will be on the European Business class. For economy passengers they will offer sandwiches and drinks, for Business class passengers there will be a full 3 course lunch with hot items. But again, there is no possibility to request any special meal for this so we will most probably need to just skip it entirerly, and I do find it very poor. Not a huge deal but still I find it extremely strange. I checked quickly Lufthansa, they do fofer special meals for Business passengers in Europe as well. even Air France does that, but KLM doesn't.

I know the seats will be the same and they'll just block the middle one, and on it's own we most probably wouldn't have booked business class for this part of our trip at all, but with multi city stops you cannot book different classes. If you choose business for the transatlantic one, all the rest will be on business as well (From San Fransisco, we also go to Los Angeles, LA and Chicago, all on first class with Delta).
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Hi janisj, I agree, we won't starve, as it's not a long flight and we already cannot wait to go I just really found this to be very strange
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 08:46 AM

You know, I can understand your frustration. They serve meals even on the short European flights; they should have something celiac friendly. It's not a hard dietary need to cater to, and being gluten free is not unusual.

On the other hand, it's cold sandwiches and tapas, so I doubt you're missing much. You'll eat better if you bring food with you.
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 08:47 AM

>> all on first class with Delta).<<

Which is actually 'Business'. The planes are not 3 class.
Old Oct 1st, 2017, 08:49 AM

Oh - to clarify -- the 1st class on your US domestic flights is really a Business Class-type product.

Enjoy your trip.