Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa - 1st or Business class from US and within Europe

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 12:17 PM
John

Hi,

I am using frequent flyer miles to travel to Italy from SFO next year. Flying Business or First Class on Lufthansa (via Munich or Franfurt) using United miles. (Have the option of using United into Germany as well, though I prefer the Lufthansa schedule).

Can any of you who have flown transatlantic or intra-European First or Business Class on Lufthansa tell me how it was/how it compared to travel on other airlines? [For comparison purposes, I mainly have flown premium class on United and Air France to Europe, and on United, Thai and Singapore in Asia].

Transatlantic:

Do they have fully-reclining seats and/or "pods" in First Class? Do Business Class seats recline to allow for decent sleep? (I think United recline in Business Class is now 135 degrees, which allows for decent sleep -- not as nice as fully-reclining in first, though).

Intra-Europe (Germany to Italy):

Is intra-European First Class like US first class? Is intra-European business just economy seats with a blocked seat in the middle?

Many thanks.

John H.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Andre

John,

Can't help you with the transatlantic portion, but I have flown quite frequently with Lufthansa intra-europe in bizclass.

They mostly fly 737s and A320s which have leather seats that can be converted from a 3+3 configuration in economy to a 2 + 3 config for bizclass. Seats become somewhat wider, but legroom remains the same (it's adequate). Obviously, you want to avoid getting a middle seat. Food service is generally quite good, but crew often has a real attitude problem - don't even think of using your cell phone on the plane, even if it's standing at the gate!

Oh yes, biz class on DOMESTIC flights is a total joke: same 3+3 seating as economy, hardly any food service!

Airport lounges are not too great (no comparison with Air France for example).

Finally, do leave at least 90 min (preferably 2 hrs) for your plane change at Frankfurt. You need to go through immigration (passport control) and it can be a real hike to your departure gate.

Hope this helps,
Andre

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Andre

BTW, there is no first class on intra-european flights - only economy and biz.

Andre

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Bob Brown

I once flew Paris to Munich on Lufthansa 1st class, or what ever they call it. It was not economy class and there were only 2 classes. I was decidedly underwhelmed.

I would rate comfort, service, etc. slightly above that of Delta's domestic economy class, and below that of US Airways first class. I have flown KLM, Finnair and Air France within Europe in economy class. Relatively speaking, Lufthansa's "upper" class was marginally better because of leg room and seat width, but for the money it would be a bad buy. Economy seating on Air France within Europe on an Airbus is not bad at all. But flying economy class on an Air France B777 from CDG to Atlanta was the pits.

I have not flown a Lufthansa transatlantic flight.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 09:37 PM
John H

Thanks for the great feedback, Andre and Bob. Unfortunately, the free trip is using United Miles and Lufthansa is the partner I need to use.

Having flown some European airlines intra-Europe, I knew/feared that intra-European "premier class" was not equivalent to even US first class. Oh, well.

Still anxious to hear feedback from others on trans-Atlantic premium class.

Thanks.

john

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 10:27 PM
kh

I've flown in business class to Frankfurt and back ex Houston. It was a couple years ago but it was done with Teutonic efficiency and lack of humor. It was all very matter of fact. They did not crash nor did they lose my luggage. The food didn't make any lasting impression and the seats were decent. You couldn't fully recline but there was decent leg room. The Frankfurt airport is a bit of a puzzle - in and out of immigration at every turn in the concourse it seemed - but I'd do it again if it was free......

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 03:05 AM
Richard

" don't even think of using your cell phone on the plane, even if it's standing at
the gate!"

That alone, is almost a GREAT reason to use Lufthansa! Good for them.

Richard

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Andre

Richard,

I fly frequently on business and spend a LOT of time waiting at airports - in the lounge but often also on the (delayed) plane before it pushes off.

My wording was unclear - I NEVER use my cell phone when the plane is taxiing or airborne, but while it is docked there is no sane reason not to! Yet I was repeatedly and aggressively harassed by flight attendants when doing this (one gate agent even ran to stop me as I was walking down the jetway!) and have witnessed numerous other passengers getting scolded like bad schoolchildren for doing something which is allowed on every other airline I know of.

John, you might also want to check out:
www.flyertalk.com
There are some frighteningly detailed flight reports on there (including menu transcripts - I kid you not).

Hope this helps,
Andre

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 07:28 AM
mj

John,
I don't have 1st hand info. of LH 1st/Biz class but here's a link to LH 1st:
http://bss.lufthansa.com/virtualairport/english/ps/intk_3_e.htm

I've flown quite a bit JFK->MUC and FRA and suggest, if at all possible, use Munich as the gateway. Transfers are much easier than Frankfurt and airport personel seem quite a bit more helpful/friendly.
hth,

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 10:36 AM
rich

my wife and i flew from phoenix to frankfurt non stop last may and plan on going again jan.1 in business class on lufthansa. my platinum card benefits do not allow me to go first class using the two for one plan. so i'm paying 8k verses 16k, as often as i like. we previously had gone delta business elite using amex miles and thought the stop in NY a hassle and made for terrible jet lag. if you book the forward cabin in business, there are two, the one in the back is bigger and the service isn't as good. plenty of legroom and very efficient staff, a breeze of a flight.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 02:15 PM
John H

Thanks for the new feedback.

John H.