Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

No smoking hotels/hostels you would recommend in Lauterbrunnen and Wengen

Aug 28th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm looking for a recommended hotel or hostel in either of these 2 places that are non smoking or have non smoking single or dorm rooms.

Thx in advance
Aug 28th, 2012, 07:46 PM

If looking for authentic hostels look only at Lauterbrunnen which has several - Wengen serves mainly an elderly crowd that young folk will call boring and typical young folk will seem WAY too quiet - think of rolling up the sidewalks at dark.

Grindelwald IMO has everything and more than Lauterbrunnen and for younger folk is where it is at - amny hostels, ski dorms and the lovely Nature Friends House and similar places.

Interlaken itself overflows with hosels, including the famous Balmer's Herberge that is a gathering place for youth from all over the world.
Aug 28th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

First, thx again for your previous help on the train ticket.
I appreciate the help.

I'm 56, male, from the US.
Traveling in mid-late September.
Spending the week prior in Munich on business.
Never been to Switzerland, so I'm heading to the Alps.

I am looking for a place that is reasonably clean and has some non smoking rooms or is entirely non smoking.
I would not mind a mixed crowd of older and younger, but I also do not want to stay at a hostel full of young kids partying till 2am A little noise and laughter is a good thing though.

As for location, I was looking at Lauterbrunnen and Wengen. Murres looked nice too, but it appears the last train leaves for there at 5pm. The only other options are a 25 SFr cab or a 35 min walk.
Is Grindewald easier to access?
I would like to end most evenings with 4-5 drinks at a restaurant, pub or the like.

Thx again for your assistance
Aug 28th, 2012, 10:06 PM

Hi mcglob,

wow, I really disagree with Pal's description of Wengen. Every time I've been there, it's been full of young (or young-ish) folks who spend their days hiking or skiing. And -- that's the reason why the sidewalks roll up at night! We're tired from the day's strenuous activities.

Anyway, I'd recommend the 3-star Hotel Alpenrose (www.alpenrose.ch) in Wengen; I've stayed there two times and love it.

I would avoid Grindelwald and Interlaken (and Lauterbrunnen, too, actually). I prefer to stay in the wonderful and unique atmosphere of a car-free village. It cannot be beat.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Aug 29th, 2012, 04:44 AM

If you're 56 you will fit right in in Wengen!
Aug 29th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Why do I suddenly feel very old?

Anyone else suggest non smoking hotel/hostels in Lauterbrunnen or Wengen?

Thx
Aug 29th, 2012, 06:42 AM

We also like the Alpenrose in Wengen-have stayed there several times and will stay there again. Perfect location IMO.
Aug 30th, 2012, 12:34 AM

Hi!

If you would like enjoy the nature and to avoid party places, I can recommend Berghaus Niederhorn, which is located at 1,950 metres above sea level and is only accessible by cable-car!!
http://www.hostelsclub.com/hostel-en-22891.html
And Mountain Hostel: located at the foot of the Eiger North Wall, near the valley station of the Jungfrau Railways and Maennlichen gondola station, it is the ideal starting position for mountain tours.
http://www.hostelsclub.com/hostel-en-23339.html
Enjoy!
Sep 1st, 2012, 06:02 PM

We've stayed at the Hotel Bellevue in Wengen a few times and loved it. Seventy percent of their rooms are non-smoking:

http://www.bellevue-wengen.ch/en/welcome/rooms.html

We've visited the BO many times and I don't remember ever having a problem getting a non-smoking room, regardless of which town we stayed in.