Hiking Swiss Alps!

Search

Hiking Swiss Alps!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiking Swiss Alps!

We are planning day hikes in the Jungfrau area to the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau.
Is there a convenient village from which to do these hikes and should we stay all 5 nights in one location - or split our stay - in order to be better located to the trails and trams, etc.

The villages of Lauterbratten, Gundewald, Wengen and Murren all say they are convenient so would like to know which would be best. Can you also recommend an accommodation within easy walking distance of train station.

Thank you.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Lauterbratten, Gundewald"

LOL LOL LOL

Your German is worse than my French.

Go to Lauterbrunnen or Wengen, depending on your budget and trips outside of BO.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 09:56 AM

Hi travelnaia,

I'm very partial to the car-free villages, so would recommned either Wengen or Mürren. Have you found this site,

www.myjungfrau.ch

to help you plan?

Good luck!

s
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 05:14 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi travelnaia -

You can't go wrong with Wengen, Murren or Lauterbrunnen. Grindelwald makes a good base too, but keep in mind it's much busier than the the other three.

I've stayed in all four villages. I love Wengen and Murren, but our latest week long stay in Lauterbrunnen proved extremely convenient, as Lauterbrunnen is a transportation hub of sorts, which makes getting everywhere a breeze.

Wengen, Murren and Lauterbrunnen are all very small, so regardless of where you stay you're close to a train station.

They're all good, it really comes down to personal preference and the activities that interest you most.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 06:36 PM

Lauterbratten sounds good to me. Take out a "t" and you have loud frying or broiling.

Gundewald is a little more problematical. Add an "r" to "gunde" and the result is Grunde which, when used with "zu", can mean going to the dogs. So Ich gehe zu Grunde can mean you are going to the dogs.
Ich habe zu Grunde im Wald gegangen could you mean that you went to the dogs in the forest. (Hope I got that preposition right with the accusative case.) Both of them, however, are mangling the German language rather badly.

Perhaps a native speaker can concoct something a little more idiomatic.

Other than that, the choice depends on budget, what you want to do, and where you want to do it. Lauterbrunnen has a youth hostel; Wengen has relatively high priced hotels.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 07:36 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Belvedere in Grindelwald which is a truly fantastic hotel with outrageous restaurant. With the pass that gave us access to all lifts, gondolas, cable cars, and trains, we were able to access the entire BO area. I don't think there is a bad place to stay anywhere in the area.

It is an incredible place and one of my favorites in the whole world.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 07:03 AM

I liked Wengen because of the views of the valley. Once there, we hiked everywhere except the one day when we took the lift to Gimmelwald. The hiking is great.