Reload this Page >

No Ads - Please!

Search

No Ads - Please!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Keith

No Ads - Please!

Just read the "heads up" about Fodors putting ads on this site.<BR><BR>While I understand the rationale for them, they are probably the most annoying thing about websites in general (especially since they tend to slow things right down when loading.) One of the great things about this site is that it allows relatively free discussion of topics, with independent thought and opinion to the fore. My fear is simple - what if one of the main advertisers is a hotel chain or airline, for example, which comes in for criticism on the board? How will Fodors ensure that the independence is preserved? Will posts criticising advertisers be pulled?<BR><BR>Don't do this, please. If you need to raise money, put the adverts on the other, non-talk pages. I'd even pay a subscription not to have them!

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 05:38 AM
Ben Haines

I hold no shares in Fodors, but do think they are too big and too solid to pull posts that criticise advertisers. And I like the idea of this forum making money for them, as otherwise their accountants will very properly ask questions on behalf of their owners.<BR><BR>My only worry is whether in future years firms will go on paying for banners. They are so easy to ignore that I wonder whether they are worth buying. But I suppose that this has been extensively researched, and my worry is needless.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR>

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 05:46 AM
ira

I agree with Keith.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 05:55 AM
UNCLE SAM

It's called capitalism. Some folks on this forum have a disdain for that word and anyone that practices it, however the bills must be paid.<BR><BR>Perhaps you mistakely thought that Fodors existed merely to allow you to share your thoughts on travel.<BR><BR>They are a corporation , and the last time I looked, corporations were in business to make $$$.<BR><BR>Now if you'd like to pay a fee in lieu of ads, then I'm sure that can be arranged.<BR><BR>Until then, get over it!<BR><BR>US

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 05:55 AM
david

I'm not sure what you are referring to because I always come directly to the Europe forum page and I never see any ads. Next time you come to the Europe forum, bookmark it (or "add to favorites"); you should be able to bypass the ads by using your bookmark/favorite. This does not address your question about preserving independence, though.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 06:01 AM
jmh

I don't think the ads are actually up yet. While I don't like them, maintaining this web site probably costs quite a bit, so I understand. This will also provide them with money to upgrade the site which I know a lot of people seem to want. Fodors.com is a great web site. Keep up the good work.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Howard

I don't always (often?) agree with Uncle Sam, but he's right on here!

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 08:04 AM
zash

Sometimes the ads can be the best part of the forum....no hate, no rudeness, no crass vulgarity.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 08:22 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I concur with Sam and Howard. Keep the forum financially viable.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 08:47 AM
RnR

Well, lets certainly keep Fodors financially viable, and the site operating - but when I purchase all those Fodors guide books, doesn't that count? I suppose I have to now tolerate the jumping-jack ads which pop up and mask whatever I signed on to access. It comes as no surprise this site is going heavily commercial - seems everyone is scratching to make a buck! If this is capitalism, it's the lowest of the type, real bottom-feeder stuff.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Joe

I agree with Ben - - I don't think Fodor's will pull threads criticizing advertisers. Despite all the complaints about editing/deleting of threads that are not travel related, I haven't seen anyone suggest that Fodors has pulled plugs for the competition, and over time you can find lots of praise here for Frommers, Karen Brown, Rick Steves, et al.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Susan

In the last few years, I've purchased 1 guide book (that was Lonely Planet's guide to Turkey). I use the library, so obviously Fodor's isn't making any money off me or people like me. Ads are annoying, but nothing comes free.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Thyra

Well, though I have never once agreed with Uncle Sam...(opposite ends of the spectrum) in this instance he is spot on. Fodor's is a business and though ads are annoying... someone has to pay for the use of this space and the personel needed to maintain it. Frankly, I think they score points for even giving us a heads up, at the end of the day, it's Fodor's brand and their domain, they could stick ads in if they wanted to. I also applaud anything that can make the forum continue, it's worth the minor inconvenience.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 09:32 AM
not

Well, I understand that US has made a valid point, because this is not really much of a debate. Unfortunately, he has done it in his usual condescending, "if you don't think like me, you're an idiot" manner. Come on, do you have to say, "Until then, get over it."? I hope he is nobody's supervisor at his place of employment. His lack of understanding of the views of others is appalling.<BR><BR>You can be correct and still be unpleasant about it. I hate to encourage that sort of behavior.<BR>

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 09:36 AM
UNCLE SAM

"You can be correct and still be unpleasant about it. I hate to encourage that sort of behavior"<BR><BR>I do not disagree, please accept my apology if I offended you.<BR><BR>US

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Christina

I don't think anyone has the right to ask Fodors to run a website without ads, sorry, Keith. I also think Fodors will put them where they get the most traffic, you can't ask them not to.<BR><BR>I do think one can complain if there are too many popups or they don't work correctly. The Fodors message just says there will be "banner" ads which sounds like just at the top of the screen, unless I don't know what that term means. It might take away from the space of the posts and make them smaller, that happened on another web site (Frommers) and it is difficult to read now because the type is so small (at least until you open the post, then its normal). <BR><BR>Virtualtourist had pop-up ads and those are annoying, but even then I wouldn't mind so much if it only happened once, when you first get one-- they had them running incorrectly so they kept popping up repeatedly every few minutes. Believe me, lots of folks complained about that and they fixed it.<BR><BR>Lots of web sites have ads, including NY Times, lots of them are those stupid things that hide in your tray, I don't like them, either.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Patrick

It's a very easy thing to download a free pop-up stopper. There was quite a thread on that here last winter or spring. I followed the advice and haven't seen one since. While in Europe I accessed Fodors from an internet cafe and was annoyed at the number of pop-up ads.<BR>In a way I feel guilty banning those ads as I do realize they make it possible for Fodors to continue this service, but I enjoy the freedom from them.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Capitalist

<BR><BR>Ads on free websites, just like ads on free commercial TV, are a necessary evil. <BR><BR>This is a great website and Fodors has my support in doing whatever is necessary to keep it up and running. <BR><BR>Although many here might say they'd rather pay a fee for this website than have ads, I bet few would actually do it.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Sheila

I have no problem with this (so long as they don't move across the screen).<BR><BR>I rare;y buy their books becuase they cater for part of teh market I'm not in. Looking at myshelves I have four- two were freebies from Fodors for some stuff I did for them; one is for teh caribbean, and believe me they are WAY ahead of the game there, and one new one is foor Brittany and was remaindered and tehrefore a very good buy.<BR><BR>But the Forums are a terrific resource and if this supports their retention I'm al for it.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 01:46 PM
xxxx

NOT a serious commodity??? All of human life is here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -