Reload this Page >

Nine Hours in Paris

Search

Nine Hours in Paris

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Barbara

Nine Hours in Paris

We arrive in Paris very early in the morning and fly to Praque in late afternoon. Do we have time to bus into Paris? Are we close to Monet's gardens. Will we have to sit in the airport all day? Help me, somebody!!

Old May 19th, 2002, 01:24 PM
mmm

I can't help you, but let me bump this to the top so maybe somebody else can!

Old May 19th, 2002, 01:37 PM
kate

I would take a cab into the city,walk as much as I can,see as much as time allows,eat and cab back to the airport.<BR>It all depends on what time you get there and leave,traffic,etc.But you really should try~good luck~

Old May 19th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Christina

If you haven't been there before and don't know French, I probably would not recommend you try to figure out the public transportation system, I think it's too risky. You could try taking the Air France bus into town and back if a cab is too pricey for you (although for at least two people, I do think a cab would make the most sense and not be that expensive, maybe about US$40 each way). There isn't any way you could manage a trip to Giverny and back IMO. Just go to some central point and walk around a bit if you want, I'd probably say just ask a cab to leave you off near Notre Dame, probably.<BR><BR>For unsolicited advice which may be irrelevant, you might consider changing your flight plans if you can. I have flown from Paris to Prague before (and am again in a few days, actually), and Air France is one of the best and cheapest carriers from Paris to Prague and they have flights all day long, there are probably at least 3 before late afternoon. I know the one I'm on is about 7:30-8 am and there are a couple after that. It is really a code share with Czech Airlines, anyway, which I thought was almost always what you'd get going from Paris to Prague.

Old May 19th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Myer

Yes Yes!!!<BR><BR>Check your luggage at the airport (I'm not sure about this).<BR><BR>Take the Air France bus to the Old Opera Building. This was our first view of Paris.<BR><BR>Walk down the Rue de la Paix and stop in Place Vendome (Ritz Hotel, etc) continue walking to Tuilleries Gardens and turn right. Place de Concorde is right in front of you. So far only 20 minutes from the Opera Building.<BR><BR>Walk to the center of Place de Concorde. One way you can see right up the Champs Elysees and the Arc de Triomphe. Behind you is the Louvre.<BR><BR>Facing the Arc turn left and walk 50 yards or so to the bridge. and look ahead and to the right. The Eiffel Tower.<BR><BR>Leave yourself required airport time and a little over an hour to get back with the Air France bus.<BR><BR>Walk in any of the above directions for several blocks for views and to get the feel of Paris.<BR><BR>You can see an awful lot is a very short period of time from this spot.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.<BR>

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Candide

Monet's gardens ae in Giverny--lovely place, but not one to visit during your partial day layover in Paris.

Old May 19th, 2002, 08:47 PM
elvira

You could also take the RER to St Michel - stop is right on the Seine, walk east along the river, cross over to Notre Dame; or change to the RER C line at St Michel and get off at Musee d'Orsay, again you get off right on the river, visit the d'Orsay or cross over to the Louvre. If you don't want to go into the Louvre, walk through the Tuileries to Place de la Concorde and come back along rue du Rivoli; take the RER C to Champs de Mars (Eiffel Tower) and walk toward les Invalides.<BR><BR>L'Open Tour bus stops at Notre Dame; for $24 you can take it over three different routes (the one heading west to Eiffel Tower hits the biggies); get on and off as you want; change to other routes if you have time.<BR>http://www702.vwh1.net/parisp/images/opentourmap.html <BR><BR>Any of those itineraries will give you lots of places to eat and a nice view of Paris. Do take a cab back to the airport to save having to get back to the RER or the AirFrance bus.