Reload this Page >

first time in paris

Search

first time in paris

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 04:20 PM
liz

first time in paris

My boyfriend and I (late twenties)are traveling to Paris the last week in July - first couple of days in August. We need advice on weather and places to stay. I would like to stay in the $125 or lower price range per nite. Please help us schedule an itenerary for our 7 day trip.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Howard

Two suggestions:<BR>1. Start doing some research.<BR>2. Let us know what your interests are.<BR>There are enough things to do in Paris to keep you busy for weeks, if not months!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:28 PM
Susie

Check out the Hotel Cecilia. They are usually about $130 USD. It is a very quaint old hotel at Etoile, next to the Arc de Triomphe. Walking distance to the Eiffel Tower, Louvre, shopping, and EVERYTHING else! It is easy access. Just take the Air France bus from Charles de Gaulle airport to the Etoile and walk 1 block. The email address is [email protected]. We stay there every year and LOVE it!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 09:42 PM
Susie

Check out the Hotel Cecilia. They are usually about $130 USD. It is a very quaint old hotel at Etoile, next to the Arc de Triomphe. Walking distance to the Eiffel Tower, Louvre, shopping, and EVERYTHING else! It is easy access. Just take the Air France bus from Charles de Gaulle airport to the Etoile and walk 1 block. The email address is [email protected]. We stay there every year and LOVE it!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 12:13 AM
Tom

you should take a look at the New Frontiers website (www.newfrontiers.com). they have a package on there called paris passion and you can get 5 nights hotel stay (anywhere from budget to superior) and get a couple of tours and a 5 day metro pass all included for a pretty low price. for the time you are going you can spend as little as $340 or you can spend $600-$700 for a first class hotel if you want to splurge a little, as well as some good hotels in between. but when you choose your hotel, i recommend you pick one that is in the middle of the city near the major attractions.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 12:19 AM
Tom

as for the rest of your post...it depends on what you like. there are a lot of museums there if you like that, but i would say the things that are a must would be the arc de triumph, eiffel tower, louvre, the palace at versailles, notre dame, and napolean's tomb. but everyone has their own preferences. expect the louvre to take most of the afternoon. and i personally prefer the eiffel tower at night. as for weather...i was there at the same time you are going, but last year. it was extremely hot and muggy. it also rained at dusk a couple of the days, so watch out for the chance of that happening for you. Have fun

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 05:05 AM
elaine

liz<BR>If you do a search here on Paris you will find previous postings, including topics like "top ten things to do in Paris"<BR><BR>I have a file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 09:46 AM
Dale Schrage

Since January of 2001, I have visited Paris for business and pleasure five times. During this period I have traveled throughour northern Italy on four occasions, spent a two-week vacation in Germany, and week in Japan. Without a doubt, Paris is the worst city that I have visited in terms of petty crime. During the first week of June, we had an international technical conference in Paris. Of 600 attendees, six reported having their pockets picked or being mugged. We think that this was in fact under-reported to avoid embarrassment.<BR><BR>In April, I was accosted three times within a 10 minute period by Gypsy women in the plaza in front on Notre Dame. With blond hair, I stand out as a foreigner in any crowd of Frenchmen. <BR><BR>I guess that the city goverment of Paris allows this because only tourists are targetted. Given the brazeness of these criminals, II cannot believe that this goes on without the complicity of the Paris police.<BR><BR>I am recommending to all that will listen that Paris be avoided as a tourist desination.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 12:30 PM
Howard

Tell us, Dale, how come there's the exact same post under another thread, which was entered by "xxx"?

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 06:07 PM
Christina

It seems like I've seen that post numerous times now. Believe it or not, there are blond French people, even men. Depardieu, for example -- ever heard of that film, the Tall Blond Man with one Black Shoe? Unless you have white blond hair, I just think it might have been because you were hanging out in a tourist crowd in front of Notre Dame that was the tip off.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 10:18 PM
tom

kind of surprised that it happened right in front of the notre dame when there is a police station very near by, only about 1 block away if i remember correctly.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 12:36 AM
moviefan

Christina: Well, the Tall Blond Man.... is Pierre Richard and not Depardieu.