One night in Paris, need inexpensive hotel in nice location

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son and I have 1 day in Paris. I know next to nothing about Paris (but am trying to learn as quickly as possible!) I'd like to stay at something that is central, maybe to the ET, but moderately priced. Is that possible? If not near the ET somewhere else close to another major site such as the Louve?
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 09:07 AM
ira

Hi ad,

What's your budget?
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

I'd like to keep it around 85 euros give or take for two twins.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 10:04 AM

There is a nice inexpensive hotel I sometimes use a couple of blocks from Notre Dame, right next to the RER St Michel stop:

Hotel du Mont Blanc
28 Rue de la Huchette
75005 - Paris, 5e

Tel:
From France: 01.43.54.49.44
From overseas: +33 1.43.54.49.44
Fax:
From France: 01.46.34.14.56
From overseas: +33 1.46.34.14.56

E-mail: [email protected]

The desk clerk is super nice, speaks perfect English and is very accomodating. The hotel is recently renovated, rooms are spotless, has an elevator and I paid 57€ for a single on my last stay there in June.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 11:02 AM

The time of year will also make a difference. When are you going? It may make it harder to find something at 85 Euros in summer, but probably not impossible...

Here are a couple of starting places:

http://www.eurocheapo.com/paris/

http://www.french-accommodation-bureau.com/uk/index.htm

www.easyhotel.com

Also, in terms of access and choice of rooms you may be happier near 6th and 14th Montparnasse area or the 1st Chatelet/Hotel de Ville area (which is the far west end of the Marais) or the 1st and 2nd Louvre area than the Eiffel Tower. The most popular area for first time visitors is the Latin quarter 6th and 5th neighborhoods....
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 11:46 AM

The Hôtel de France is within walking distance of the Tour Eiffel and in your budget range.

www.hoteldefrance.com
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 12:04 PM

Adam: How old is you boy? Child, teenager?
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the Hotel Louvre Richelieu. It's about 3 long blocks north of the Louvre.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 12:05 PM

Ooops. <i>Your</i> boy.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

JeanneB, my son is 20.

And I am not looking for two twins----I am looking for one room around 85-100 euros with 2 twin beds.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 01:54 PM

I've been researching twin-bed rooms for a trip in October. Here are two responses I've had which come pretty close. They are both in really excellent locations. Reviews on Trip Advisor are good...better for the Michelet. (In this price range, don't expect anything to be very roomy.)

Hotel du College de France
Latin Quarter--lively area
Twin w/ bath, 93 euro.
<b>www.hotel-collegedefrance.com</b>

Hotel Michelet Odeon
Saint Germain--more &quot;elegant&quot; in a non-stuffy way.
Twin beds with shower, 105eu.
<b>www.hotelmicheletodeon.com </b>
(I have a thread up asking if there is still renovation work going on at the Odeon theater. But, hey, for one night...!) Breakfast isn't included, but if I only had one day I wouldn't eat at the hotel anyway.

The map at the Michelet's website isn't working for me. You can see one at www.pagesjaune.com. Type in the address, 6 Place de l'Odeon. For localite, enter &quot;Paris&quot;. Click search and in the new window click &quot;Plan&quot;. It will bring up a map of the surrounding
neighborhood.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 02:10 PM

I just saw your post that your son is 20. The Hotel du College de France is in a student area, near the Sorbonne and CdF. He might enjoy that more than the area near the tower, which is quieter, more genteel. I believe there are some good jazz clubs near there if you're interested.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

JeanneB--Thanks for the great tips. I have had a hard time finding a place in Paris. Much harder for me than when I went to London or Ireland. I just am really unfamiliar with the city, and am unsure where the best place for a first timer would be.

I do think my son might like College de France. He actually is a jazz musician. He and I are only going to be in Paris one day, but then I am coming back in for another 4 days. But everything I have heard about is booked.Thanks for the tips

jpie: I'm going late April and then back in mid-May. When I come back in mid-May I'll be solo. I'd like to be central and safe--and a good place for a first timer. I get pretty confused trying to understand the various sections of Paris.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Wow. He'll be in Jazz Heaven! Very near the CdF hotel, there's Caveau de la Huchette. 5 Rue de la Huchette. Follow Rue Saint-Jacques to near the river. (Use the pagesjaune site to look at the map.)

Here's a review of the club:
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/articles/nycb0602.htm
More clubs here:
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/articles/nycb0602.htm

The districts aren't that hard. They start in the center (1st arrondisement, 2nd) and work their way out in a concentric circle. The Latin Qtr is the 5th. Saint Germain, 6th. Eiffel Tower, 7th. When you return solo to Paris, you might be more comfortable in the 6th. If your price is still the same, check out the Michelet I mentioned above.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

I have a inquiry into the Michelet. I think I probably need to take my price up higher. You think the 6th is the place? Everyone talks about the 7th, but I really don't know what each has to offer.

JeanneB--thanks for the direction in regard the jazz. I would never have looked that way!
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 03:32 PM

I find the 7th preferably quieter with less tourists walking around (especially at night) than the 6th. In the 7th, there's not as much touristy shops and restaurants than in the 6th.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 04:00 PM

<i>I think I probably need to take my price up higher.</i>

The hotels are safe and well located. But they will have paper thin walls and probably very small rooms. 135-150 euros can get you a lot more for your $$.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 04:11 PM

Correction: I shouldn't have written that about the Michelet. I have not read any reviews that said the walls were paper thin. I'm considering it for my trip.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

I am no world traveler. But I have been to Florence, Rome, Munich, London and Ireland. I've never had such a tough time finding a place. I would like a place in the 7th based on what people tell me, or maybe the 6th, but everything I find is booked, or then I learn it doesn't have a good reputation, tho' recommended by Rick Steves, like Eber de Mars.

Jeanne B: Michelet in the 7th? I've written them and am waiting for an answer. It looks good. I guess I 'll go up in $$ if that doesn't come thru.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 06:27 PM

Hi Adam
I will be in Paris with a friend of mine on the third week of May and have made reservations for a twin room (or a room with twin beds) at the Carofftel Gobelins on the 5th arrondisement, for 89 euros per night. It has great reviews, and it is supposed to be in a great place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -