Nine days in Greece.

Search

Nine days in Greece.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nine days in Greece.

I will be travelling to Greece in late February and would like to hear your favorite places- regardless of what you may think I like or not. I just want to hear about the place that left you breathless, in awe, or in love. A place, or places,in Greece of epiphany for you. I appreciate your input. Thanks , Tim
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 07:09 AM
Neopolitan

We spent a month and did 7 islands plus Athens.

My favorite island was probably Symi -- staying in the delightful Hotel Aliki where we could sit on our balcony and watch the boats come in, or walk a few steps to the little harbour which was surrounded with a lot more locals than tourists.

But the favorite spot has to be sitting on a terrace on Santorini facing the caldera at sunset. We loved doing so at Fira where the black silouhette of the outer rim of the caldera set off the sea and the sky.

You didn't ask, but our least favorite island was Kos -- whose charm if there is any, totally escaped us.

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 08:55 AM

Corfu is my favourite - it is where my heart is, where I spend 2 months every summer and where I will live one day. February is not the time to visit though! So onto the rest.
Mainland Greece: Delphi - very beautiful setting, Nafplio - gorgeous town near lots of interesting sites in the Peloponnese, Athens - the Plaka for wandering round the streets and shops, Athens - the Acropolis and the Archaeological Museum, Ioannina - a town by a lake in western Greece, beautiful, typically Greek but cold in winter, Rhodes - Lindos and Rhodes Town with history, beauty and great places to wander, Crete - great scenery, historical sites and the town of Chania in the west with a lovely waterfront and restaurants, the small island of Poros - whitewashed houses, fishing boats etc.
There are many more! I'm off back to Corfu on 9th October, can't wait after writing this post!
Carolena
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 10:38 AM

The islands will be very cold and damp and "dead" in February. Almost all the islands' tourist infrastructure will be in hibernation for the winter, not to re-emerge until sometime in April. If you like peace and quiet you'll definitely get it!
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your post thus far. We are travelling at the end of February because our flights are free and one travels when one can. So with this fact in mind- please continue to tell me about your favorite Greek places and experiences. I don't mind cool weather , but I do hold a certain amount of disdain for packs of tourist. Thanks, Tim
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I spent six weeks in Greece this spring, Thessaloniki to Kos, alas did not make it to Santorini. Favorites: Kastoria - great in early April, but likely too cold in Feb.; Dodomi near Ioannina (ditto); Meteora; Athens - museums and the Plaka as well as the Acropolis; Gerolimenas - tiny village in the south of the Peloponnese; Monemvasia; Crete - Samaria Gorge (but closed in Feb.); Rhodes - the old town. Agree Kos is skippable, although I liked the Asklepion.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:48 AM

Hi Tim. I heard you had the day off- imagine finding you here. I guess you'll be dragging my work buddy away again. Enjoy your planning.
Ally
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:58 AM

Santorini is absolutely amazing, you have to spend a day there. The city of Oia on Santorini is beautiful - I would guess at least 75% of the pictures you see of Greece with white buildings and blue sea come from there. I had lunch on the cliff side of the main part of the island, and the view was just amazing.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 02:58 PM

You may want to check the dates for carnival in Patras and maybe plan a night there if the timing works out it is supposed to be great. From Patras it would be easy to check out the sights at Epidavros and Olympia both of which are amazing. Delphi is also really nice and not too far, neither is Nafplio which is beautiful as another poster pointed out.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 03:24 AM

Also planning to travel to Thessaloniki in late February 2007 for a milestone event. Based on my research, I know it will be cold, but I would also appreciate any tips on places to see/ tours related to religious history, i.e. travels of Apostle Paul. Anyone with info/advice, thanks for sharing.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 03:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Delphi definitely left me breathless and in awe. A spectacular setting made more awe inspiring by its incomparable history and legend.

Mycenae, a wonderful pile of rocks giving rise to reflections about Agamemnon and the fate of the House of Atreus.

Olympia, a beautiful and peaceful spot with (in March, however) fields of wildflowers; site of the ancient olympics for, if I remember correctly, seven hundred years.

I loved Athens. The Acropolis, the ancient agora, the vibrant street life, the music in every cafe and restaurant, the rembetika club Stoa Athanaton in the central market, the market itself.

My very long trip report might be of interest:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34589254

Photos:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&y=-b9k6sz
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 07:55 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Napflion is a lovely small city with access to the Mycenean culture. It was one of my favorites places. I also enjoyed touring the rest of the Peloponnesean Peninsula- Mystras and Olympia in particular. Delphi, NW of Athens, is beautiful.
Chania Crete, another city, is wonderful as well with its Venetian horbor and Turkish influences. Athens was a highlight.The historical sites in Greece are incredible.
For islands, Paros, Naxos, Spetses and Hydra are nice islands but may be shut down in the winter. Things were closing when I was there in the late fall. I didn't care for Santorini but mostly because of the touristy stuff and crowds which would not be a factor in the winter.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 05:52 AM

Greece in winter makes me think of Henry Millerīs "The colossus of Maroussi".
Gaspard
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 12:56 PM

I've been to Crete 4 times and Lesvos once. The birds, in April, on Lesvos were quite amazing, but Crete is one of my favouritest of places. Beaches, history, amazing people, ruins, food, villages, myths, museums, raki. I'm struggling to think what it hasn't got