Search

Nighttime in London

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nighttime in London

Hi all,

My friends and I are going to London during the last week of September for the 1st time, and so far we've done lots of looking into what we'll do each DAY, but we'd like to make sure we have fun at night, too. We're four women, late 20s/early 30s, - what are your suggestions?? We'll probably go to a show one night. What are your best picks of fun pubs, clubs, and bars? Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 02:37 AM

The possibilities are kaleidoscopic - if you pick up a copy of Time Out when you arrive you'll see what I mean. Metro (the free commuter paper which you'll see all over the underground) has reviews of bars and other nightlife, as does the (paid for) Evening Standard. A lot depends on where you're staying, how late you want to stay out, and what sort of a journey back you're prepared to put up with (or pay for).

There's a convention you might not be familiar with, that something calling itself a wine bar is almost certain to be OK for women. There are a lot of café-bar chains (All Bar One, Piano and Pitcher, Slug and Lettuce) which should be OK if not necessarily cutting-edge trendy.

The tourist authorities have some listings at
http://campaigns.visitbritain.com/ci...&cityID=17

The suggestions of viewers of the BBC's Holiday programme are at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/holiday/program...nd_cafes.shtml

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Patrick, I'll definitely check those links (and the publications). We're staying in a pretty central location, near Euston station. I think at least a couple of the nights we'll look to have late nights out. An insider's view of what is good NOW is always valuable versus the guidebooks!
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 05:42 PM

Robin -

I haven't been yet, so I'm not vouching for this place, but I'm going in September. There's apparently a club IN London Bridge. It used to be called Cynthia's but now it's Wicked. There's a robot that takes your orders at one of the bars and makes your drink for you. Seems like it would be cool for at least the start of one evening. (that's what we're planning.

http://www.cynbar.co.uk/

We're planning on picking up Time Out when we get there and just wandering around, hitting local places and whatever strikes our fancy (two women - one guy - all mid 30's (ish))
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 06:18 PM

Actually, you can pick up Time Out London ahead of time (Borders usually carries the magazine) before you even reach the shore to get some idea where to go.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

The London Bridge bar sounds really cool; definitely different. Thanks, Celtic! Has anyone out there tried it yet? Anyone have any other specific picks...or places to AVOID?

I do hear they sell Time Out London here in NY (talk about a shrinking world!). I'll plan on picking up a copy just before I leave.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 12:14 PM

R u looking 4 classy? cheap? expensive? crowded? Londons not just a little street
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 01:35 PM

On a recent trip to London I went to Gordon's Wine Bar near the Embankment Tube stop. It is in a lively pedestrian area and has an outdoor patio which closes at 10:00 or 10:30. If there is a group of you, you can buy wine by the bottles. The inside is neat looking.

I learned about it from the Eyewitness Top 10 London guidebook, which probably has a section on London top 10 nightspots.

Have fun!
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 01:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
martytravels, Is that true of most Borders or only the ones in major metro areas? I live far enough afield that even a trip to Borders is an hour and a half!
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 01:44 PM

I imagine stock does vary by location depending on local interests and demand. Why don't you call them on the telephone and ask them?
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 07:04 PM

We had a wonderful time on a pub walk along the south bank of the Thames. We visited three very different pubs (with time for a pint in each), saw gorgeous views of the city at night as well as other historic sights. Take a look at london.walks.com There are walks of all sorts, the guides are experts and the price is low.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 08:50 PM

obxgirl, you might definitely want to call ahead. I live in the Detroit metro area where there are about 20 Borders stores but only about half of them stock Time Out London consistently.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 02:46 AM

Robin - what area are you staying in? I'm back from England on the 21st. I can give you a shout when I get back. Not really a club person though - so it's more likely to be bars/pubs. Email me directly at [email protected] if you want.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 03:07 AM

Hi Go to the theate more than once!,get you tickets from the half priced ticket booth in Leicester Sq(official booth right in Leicester Sq,WWW.tkts.co.uk).Plenty of pubs bars etc around Covent Garden & Leicester Sq.Try www/whatsonlondon.co.uk. & visit the ltotally London dept in the British Tourist Board offices on Lower Regent Street.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 03:09 AM

Visit Sketch on Conduit Street,the latest trendybar in London,just off Regent Street
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 04:51 AM

For quality non-members bars try Claridges Bar, Library Bar (Lanesborough Hotel), Mandarin Oriental Bar (Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park), and Bar at the Ritz.

Quality clubs which don't require membership or placement on a guest list are hard to find.

By the sounds of you though, you will probably appreciate any pub regardless of the quality of the drinks, just the volume!
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 03:56 AM

Some sites for good bars / pubs in all locations
Akbar 77 Dean Street, Soho (Trendy)
www.redfort.co.uk/akbar
Arch 635 15-16 Lendal Terrice, Clapham
www.arch635.co.uk (Trendy)
Baltic, 74 Blackfriars, Waterloo (Polish Bar)
www.balticresturant.co.uk
25 Canonbury Lane, Islington (Trad Pub)
www.25canonburylane.co.uk
Grenadier, Wilton Row, Knightbridge (Trad Pub)
The Landsdowne, 90 Gloucester Av, Primrose Hill (Gastro Pub)
Lots Road Dinning Room, 114 Lots Road, Chelsea (Grastro Pub)
Perseverance, 63 Lambs Conduit street, Holburn (Gastro Pub)
The Salt House, 63 Abbey Road, St John's Wood (Gastro Pub)
Vertigo, Tower 42 old Broad Street, City (Bar in Sky Scraper)
The Prospect of Whitby, 57 Wapping Wall, Wapping

That should keep you occupied!
Jim

Old Sep 9th, 2003, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

So many options!! I'm not surprised at all. And m_kingdom - you're making us out to be a bunch of lushes. O.k., so we are, but no need to call it out . Primarily I think we'd like to go to places with friendly people, and to actually meet people from London of all things. The variety of pubs, bars, and clubs is helpful; we'll probably look to mix it all in (though less time in clubs). Thanks for all of your suggestions; as Jim says, looks like we'll be pretty well occupied!