Night Ferry Turku to Stockholm

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling on a Eurorail pass next month from Finland to Sweden. I know booking a cabin for the night ferry is extra, can someone fill me in on the extra cost and when should that be done. Now or later in Finland.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:35 PM

OneGrandma:<BR><BR>There are two lines serving the Turku-Stockholm route:<BR>viking (www.vikingline.fi) and<BR>silja (www.silja.com)<BR><BR>Prices per cabin vary according to type from about 85 ? to several 100 ? for a suite.<BR><BR>The viking website gives you the prices, the silja website, however, doesn't. But both have lists of agents.<BR><BR>My personal favourite is Silja, though Viking is very good too. I suggest you book as early as possible, because the boats fill up quickly during summer week ends and holiday periods.<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip<BR><BR>Phil.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:10 AM

The peak holiday season doesn't start till late-June, so next month, the ships will be quiet except around weekends. I've used these services in summer without booking in advance and always got somewhere to sleep. If all cabins are booked, put your name down on the waiting list as soon as you board the ship; after sailing, vacant cabins and berths are allocated - there are always people who've booked but miss the ship or change their plans.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:34 AM

Does it have to be night? It is 11 hours of which well over 8 are among islands and the scenery is terrific.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:50 AM

I agree with David. Take the morning ferry and watch the scenery. The archipelago between Finland and Sweden is considered to be one of the most beautiful archipelagos in the world.<BR><BR>If you plan to cross on weekend you might want to book alrady now. If not, you can do it in Finland.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 11:08 AM

I hadn't noticed until the last time I took this ferry that the Viking terminal is about 4 or 5 miles outside the city and I don't know how easily accessible this is without a car.<BR>On that occasion also(which was mid-July)we tried to upgrade our cabin on the ship and they didn't even have any &quot;no shows&quot;<BR>The previous time which was late May we were unable to get the accomodation we wanted about a month in advance and ended up sharing 2 bunks between 4.<BR>However the journey to my mind is the most beautiful in the world.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:16 PM

I took the Silja night ferry from Stockholm to Turku last June. The sun set around 11:00pm and came up the next morning around 4:00am. I found I had <BR>plenty of time to see the beautiful archipelago in the daylight during the <BR>night cruise. If you're going early in May you might check weather.com and see <BR>when sunrise &amp; sunset occurs, but I imagine you'll have plenty of daylight.<BR><BR>Since you have very limited choices for trips, I'd suggest you book immediately <BR>if you really want a cabin. It isn't like a train where another one comes <BR>along in an hour or so.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:24 PM

Another vote for the daytime. We took it from Stockholm to Turku during the day. The ship was spectacular, but the scenery was overwhelming. I can't imagine sleeping through it!!!