Tuscan Itinerary Advice please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2003, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all previous assistance! We have decided to start our Tuscan adventure with 2 nights in Florence. Then 4 nights S of Siena near Buonconveno, then drive back N for 1 night in San Gimignano. (Drive the next day towards Pisa to turn in the car and train to CTerre). Anything wrong with that plan that glares out at you? Most importantly-What cities must we visit when in Southern Tuscany? We also have the option of going into Siena on 7/2-il palio. We are near many smaller towns. SHould we try to get over towards Umbria? We dont' want to push it-it's our first trip and we want to enjoy, explore, immerse! Thank you for your help!
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 10:22 AM

To see southern Tuscany, start with these: Montalcino, Pienza, Montepulciano. If hot springs are of interest, check out Bagno Vignoni. If you tire of towns, you might drive over to the ruined monastery of Galgano. You will also want to spend at least a half day in Siena, and being there around Palio will be amazing -- but very, very crowded!! So that's going to fill your time at Buonconvento.<BR><BR>If you have a half day when you stay in San Gim, try to get over to Volterra -- it's well worth it. Great town, interesting geographic features, and there is a fantastic Etruscan museum there if you are interested.<BR><BR>Unless you are trying to cram in as much as possible, leave Umbria for another trip. You'll have plenty to see and do. You want some time to just sit in a lovely piazza and drink a coffee, or stroll through a charming town with a gelato in hand, right?<BR><BR>Buon viagio!
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 10:23 AM

PS It's San Galgano. And I also meant to say that your itinerary sounds perfect.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Marilyn! We'll be there on our honeymoon for 2 wks. I have the hotels/ cities close to confirmed but was a bit Overwhelmed with where to go in Tuscany and car rental stuff!
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 11:08 AM

Your plans sound good, and you'll really enjoy your night in San G. - it's much better in the evening, after the tourists have left.<BR><BR>Another beautiful, if tiny, village, is the walled village of Monteriggioni, just north of Siena. There's not much there, but there are two restaurants; each has outdoor seating. I can't remember the name of the one we ate at, but it's on the right as you enter the village, and their garden is a wonderful place to have lunch.<BR><BR>I second Volterra. I don't remember how close Cortona is to Siena, but it's another idea for a day trip. You don't need to venture into Umbria unless you want to; you'll have plenty to do in Tuscany.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 11:08 AM

While near Buonconvento, don't fail to see the abbey called Monte Oliveto Maggiore, in the hills not too far from Buonconvento. You park, &amp; walk about half mile to the abbey. It's still a very active monastery; e.g., they still do illumination restoration for the Vatican.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 11:40 AM

Everyone faces the same dilemma when planning for a few days in Tuscany: There is far more to see that you'll ever have time for! The best advice is to do as much info gathering as you can--from this forum, from books, from wherever--and continue to refine your &quot;A list&quot; of places to see. <BR>Thus, you'll end up with two conclusions:<BR>1. I'll never be able to see everything I want to see.<BR>2. I'm definitely going back!
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 11:42 AM

PS: I would strongly recommend you get a copy of &quot;Top 10 Tuscany,&quot; one of the Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guides. We found it to a great sound of info.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:02 PM

Eileen, You have very good advice here. Let me add St. Antimo south of Montalcino. Forget Umbria for now.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:03 AM

If you are planning on coming to Siena on the day of the Palio be warned that parking will be impossible and many buses will not be running. You wil need to arrive before 8 am. probably to find a space in one of the parking lots.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Great suggestions as usual. Bob, that's a town I'm not familiar with and will do some research on--thanks! Umbria is out, we'll have plenty to do in Tuscany alone. Any winery or restaurant advice is welcome! Thanks all!
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:39 PM

I found the area around Buonconvento not very nice looking, did you find a good place to stay and that is why you chose that area? I would stay nearer Siena or Pienza, Montepulciano or Montalcino.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

We're actually about 5km N of Buonconvento, almost in between there and Siena. It just seems to be the closest larger town near our agriturismo!
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:44 PM

which agritursimo did you chose between Siena and Buonconvento?
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:48 PM

Eileen, St. Antimo is a small abbey built by Charlemagne and quite charming.<BR>For my list of &quot; Good Eats in Toscana&quot; do a search under that name here and you should find it.