Nice to Piemonte

Search

Nice to Piemonte

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice to Piemonte

In November we will be traveling to Nice on business. Following the convention one year, we went west to Provence. On another trip we trained to Venice for a few days.

This time we would like to try Piemonte. How long will it take to get there? Is it best to rent a car? Because we have such a short amount of time, in what specific location should we stay? The Baur B and B has been highly recommended here, but apparently it's closed in November. Thanks for all the help!
Old May 24th, 2008, 03:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How much is "a short amount of time"?

You mention Baur B&B. Is that the type of property you want in November considering how far north you'll be? What are your interests?
Old May 24th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

A short amount of time is 3-4 days. We love wine and food. We have been to Italy 5 times and want to discover/explore a new location. Are there other reasons to head to Piemonte?

I want the best location considering we are coming from Nice. Probably want to spend 150-200ish Euro per night. Thanks for the questions.
Old May 25th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

anyone?
Old May 25th, 2008, 06:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was hoping someone with more recent experience would chime in. I haven't spent time in the Piemonte for several years.

I don't know how to identify the "best location," but I'd suggest the area around/between Asti and Alba. Great food and wine in this area. In the off season, I'd prefer to stay in a decent-sized town rather than out in the countryside.

You can train from Nice to Asti (through Genoa), but it's a fairly long journey. Probably, 4-5 hours. There's a Europcar rental office in Asti.
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:23 PM

What's happened to all the Piedmont posters this year? I would recommend the area around Asti and Alba as the best and most central locations to stay in Piedmont for visiting the wine country and sampling the fabulous cuisine, (also November is the best season for truffles) and don't forget there are plenty of cultural things to see and do in the area.

You really should rent a car as the best wineries and restaurants are located in little hill-top villages as well as the wonderful panaramic drives. From Nice to Asti by autostrada (savona, alessandria) is about 3 hour drive and if you come up the scenic route over the mountains via Cuneo and Bra, about 4 hours.
Old May 26th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sampaguita. Glad someone came through. Very helpful.

How do you feel about Torino?
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 01:57 PM
snk

We are traveling with another couple to Piedmont this summer for a week, then a few days in Nice and then driving back toward Milan to fly home. Couple questions:

Any memorable meals/wineries in Alba, Asti or in between?

If you have already spent a week in the Alba/Asti area, is there anyplace else you would recommend visiting for a couple nights between Nice and Milan?

Many thanks.
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 02:10 PM

Have you seen this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...d-shopping.cfm
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 10:47 AM

Southern Piedmont is easy reachable from Nice and you get there in approximatly 2 hours (we live in Piedmont, border with Liguria and go often to France). It's a nice trip because from the autostrada you have fantastic views on the sea !

From Southern Piedmont you can visit Acqui Terme, Alba, Asti and if you want to you can easily spend a day on the coast.
It's a region with a lot of little villages with medieval towers (we live just next to one), but they are not very easy to reach by train, so it's easier when you rent a car.

The restaurants and enoteca's (wineries) in this area are fabulous. We live here since one year and of course we have a lot of work testing them all ;-)