Nice Recommendations

Old Aug 8th, 2022, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Recommendations

Hello all, Iím looking for some recommendations in Nice.

We will be there mid-September for our 25th anniversary, so looking to splurge a bit.

Where should we stay in Nice? Have been looking at some of the nicer hotels with really mixed reviews (i.e. Hyatt Regency, Le Meridien).

Most important for us are clean room, modern updated facilities, friendly staff, want it to be a place we love going back to, not dread. Would like to be somewhat near the beach and/or old town (Vieille Ville).

Not important for it to be a big hotel or a chain. Just want a really nice place to stay. Price range up to ~$350/night.

Any recommendations on the best Nice beach club to spend a day lounging? Iím thinking they are all pretty similar. Any faves on food or drink, or setup?

Looking for a day trip to a sandy beach. Which town, which beach? Less crowded preferred (but this will be end of Sept). Spectacular views and scenery a huge plus.

Would like to find a really special experience in Nice or nearby for our actual 25th anniversary dinner. We love thoughtful and well executed food (love to eat!), but it doesnít have to be in the fanciest service (though weíre okay in that setting too). Lean more towards seafood than meat.

Also interested in a boat ride along the coast. Anyone know and used a private hire boat for a half day or so?

Thanks so much in advance! Itís so helpful to hear from people who have already been there.
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 07:51 AM

See attached

Stu Dudley
Attached Files
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 10:36 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a beautiful sandy beach just west of St-Tropez. We stayed in Ramateulle above the beach and enjoyed it. Almost empty when we were there in September.
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 11:27 AM

We loved Nice -- huge variety of things to do or places to relax. We stayed at Le Meridien on points. For a splurge, check out the rooms with full ocean view. The beach is across the street. It's an easy walk to old town, shopping areas, convenient bus stops, transport to nearby towns, etc.
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 02:11 PM

We are returning to La Perouse in early October, were there 30+ years ago and loved its location. Believe we found it then thru our trusted Cadogan guides. Check website, it sits in the cliff between Nice and Ville Franche. Lots of pictures. It is walkable to/fro old Nice. They have lovely suites. For a special meal or lunch, recommend you taxi up to St. Paul de Vence and book Colombe d'Or. While there, of course see the Maeght Fondation (which we missed last two times, hence this year's trip!). For dining, I believe I rec'd the following recommendations on this very forum:
Le Plongeoir, Comptoir du Marche, Bistrot Antoine, Bar des Oiseuex. I have not studied the menus yet.
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 04:25 PM

The best hotel in Nice is La Perouse. It is understated whilst the Negresco is over-the-top.

Buona Sera, Mr Biddle
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 09:48 PM

La Perouse is the top choice along the seafront, for a nonchain choice. I agree the upgraded rooms at Le Meridien (facing Castle Hill and the sea) are better. The rooms are a bit small but the terasse is nice. The lobby is underwhelming. There is also the Hyatt Palais de la Mediterannee

The beach clubs are not all equal. They vary in price, service and food quality. I like the food at le Galet. Friends really liked Les Temps d'un ete

For a splurge dinner, you can try Jan, Pur et V, Flaveur. You could also go out of town and try something like Mirazur.
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the recommendations! Weíve considered staying outside of Nice and like the idea of a smaller town, but since this is our first visit to the French Riviera, we decided to stay in Nice and do day trips. After looking at availability and prices, I have narrowed it down to these, listed most expensive to least expensive. The only rooms available to La Perouse were way outside my budget.

Le Meridien

Le Negresco

The Jay

Hyatt Regency

Still interested if anyone has suggestions for very special dinner locations/restaurants to celebrate a 25th anniversary. Doesnít have to be in Nice, as long as itís reasonable to get there for dinner.

And boat rides along the coast, Iím thinking itís prolly most scenic from Nice eastward.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 09:25 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
We enjoyed Nice, and stayed at the Hotel Le Grimaldi, which we liked a lot. Not sure it's enough of a splurge for you, though.
https://le-grimaldi.com/fr/

For your special anniversary, Antibes is a lovely little port town close to Nice. We took the commuter train from Nice to Antibes.
What if you chartered a yacht for a scenic ride and a sunset dinner? There were some pretty fancy yachts at Antibes. Google it, and lots of resources pop up.

Last edited by MoBro; Aug 12th, 2022 at 10:17 AM.
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 10:12 AM

Why are you choosing Nice?
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 03:41 AM

Plage Keller on Cap d'Antibes has a sandy beach, good restaurant and fabulous views towards Nice. There's also a nice walk around the cap, takes about an hour. If the weather is good enough for the beach, it will be crowded though.