Is NICE really nice???

Search

Is NICE really nice???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 1998, 08:30 PM
Debbie

Is NICE really nice???

Family of four(two adults and two teenagers) are
traveling to Nice the last week of March and first part of April for spring break. We would like any information on staying in Nice for reasonable price and which way to travel out(east or west for maximum sightseeing in week's time). Any restaurant suggestions,shops,museums,etc. that
you enjoyed would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old Feb 23rd, 1998, 06:49 AM
Leslie

Just head for the 'old town' to eat. It's a maze of twisty little streets with loads of interesting restaurants. All the restaurants in Europe are required to display a menu outside, so it's fun to just wander until something tempts your tastebuds. I took a daytrip to Monaco, which I definitely recommend! What I thought was the coolest thing about Monaco is never mentioned... that you could ride an outside elevator to get from one street to the next. I thought it was so cool, to just be walking along, see an elevator, get in it, and see where you came out.

Old Feb 23rd, 1998, 07:34 PM
Bill Moser

You're in luck. My wife and I just returned! We based our travels from the Hotel Vendome in Nice for a cost of $80.00/night.3 stars.Location just okay, not on the water. The nicer hotels are on the water at the western side of Nice, but are over
$100/night.First day take the tourist tram ride that starts along the waterfront promenade for $7.00 each. You'll cover alot of ground fast and get an overview of Nice in just 30 minutes. Also, first day hit the flower market around 9 a.m. to pick up fresh flowers for the room. By noon the vendors scatter. Two days is enough to see all Nice has to offer. On day three we travelled to Vence and St. Paul which were both nice. One hour in Vence, one half day in St Paul is sufficient. Day 4 in Aiux De Nice to see the Matissse Museum was a little dissapointing since 90%25 of his works travel the world, and they leave little behind in the museum. There are some neat Roman ruins next to the Museum that are cool. If you decide to go, plan to visit the grocery store walking distance from museum and make yourself a picnic, bring it down to the park surrounding the museum and you wont be sorry.
The man minding the public restrooms has a myna bird that speaks french..quite a kick. By the way, bone up on your French. The natives are quite friendly but dont speak english. We travelled West along the coast to to Eze, Monaco, Monte Carlo and Menton.
Eze and Menton were tops. Skip Monaco and Monte Carlo if your with childern, crowded and overated. us. We didnt travel East of Nice so cant help there.
We found two of the best restaurant values in Nice, and a great italian lunch place in Menton. E-mail us for details

Old Feb 24th, 1998, 06:09 PM
Joel

Debbie, I lived in central France for two and a half years. Traveling around France during that time my wife and I found that Nice was living on its laurels and had very little that other destinations in the region didn't also have. It was overpriced, particularly the hotels on the beach which appeared to need a good deal of fixing up despite prices at or well over 600FF per night.

Possibly you're locked into staying at Nice, but if you have the possibility of going somewhere else I would try a smaller town, especially one back from the coast, but with a view of the sea. Try buying a Michelin Green Guide for the Riviera Region and work from there.

My personal favorite is the old harbor of Marseille and the hotel to choose is most definitely the Sofitel. The port is beautiful, particularly in the morning when the eastern sun illuminates the sandstone forts and churches across the bay from you. You can stroll down to the inner port and eat bouillabaisse in the out door restaurants and take the launch out to the Chateau d'IF where the Count of Monte Cristo was imprisoned. Marseille is a good place to spend 2 nights. Take the coastal train to other locales in the region and spend nights in each.

Old Feb 24th, 1998, 07:07 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Debbie: Yes, I've always thought that Nice is nice (but for heaven's sake don't call it "nice" in France!). One of the things I'll always remember about it is coming into it by train at night. The tracks follow the Cote d'Azur and the sight of the lights as the train comes around it leaving Cannes is just magical. In addition I've always had a sort of family fondness for the place because my father (who fought in Pershing's army during World War I) had only a one-week leave of absence as a soldier and spent it in Nice where an American couple adopted him and really entertained him. He loved it so that he made all three of his children love it too. When I went I was sort of adopted too--but by a British steel manufacturer and his son-in-law. They showed me all of Nice--plus Monaco, Cannes, and Vence. I hope you do go. Joan