Nice hotel or villa in Positano?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2003, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip late July/Aug and will be staying in Positano or possibly Revello for 5 days. The last time I was there was 19 years ago, on my honeymoon. Now we are taking our teenage daughters.

Last year I planned our 3 week trip to Italy using this forum and everything was perfect. So I look foward to any help I receive. Thanks Laura
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:45 AM

I would rather be the only woman on a Greek freighter than be in Positano in July/August.
Expect ...
HOT
EXPENSIVE
CROWDED....
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:48 AM

Don't pay attention to the previous poster.
Positano has unbelievable views and pretty good beach. We can recommend hotel L'Ancora with its big rooms and spacious terraces overlooking the sea.
You can take SITA buses to Sorrento.
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:53 AM

I"m not sure what you mean by "nice", but we liked the Villa Rosa very much. It is not upper end (as compared to, say, Le Sirenuse, which is just across the street from VR), but has a spectacular view, nicely furnished, great location, friendly staff. Do a search on here to read more about it.

We stayed in Positano mid-July at the Villa Franca, which sits near the very top. The views were beautiful, and the highlight of our trip to Italy.

We stayed for only 3 days, and vowed to return someday with our kids. Hope you have a great trip!

Positano is beautiful. We had such a wonderful time there. All I am saying that in the summertime it is too crowded and there is no way I would go then. We were there at the end of Sept.
and we loved every minute of it. There were no crowds and the weather was warm not hot.
Old May 5th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Biz

I stayed at the Villa Franca last May. It's at the top of the hill, so there were a lot of stairs to climb, but we enjoyed it very much. I think children may also enjoy the swimming pool on top of the hotel.

We paid over 300 Euros, I think, for one of their best rooms, but a friend paid a lot less to stay in the Annex next door and had a very nice room. I would stay in the Annex next time and save the money.

Old May 5th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

JandaO-I agree, but as I am a teacher and will be traveling with my daughters, I am stuck with july/aug. I have been reaing other threads and Praiano was mentioned a few times. Does anyone have info on that town? Hotels? Location? Thanks
Old May 5th, 2003, 10:26 AM

Hi,
Yep it sounds like the summer is your only option
We stayed in Praiano at the Netuno hotel. It was really nice but isolated from stores and such.
Old May 17th, 2003, 09:04 AM

We stayed at Hotel Posa Posa in April last year and it was perfect. I proposed to my sweetheart on the Balcony of room 606 on a starry night! What a stunning view!

Check out their Site to get a look at the rooms. The prices were very reasonable. Say hello to Guiseppe for us!

http://www.hotelposaposa.com

Rick & Laura
Old May 17th, 2003, 11:47 AM

I'm not sure that either place is really right with teenagers. There's not a lot to do, and both towns are really romantic destinations meant more for couples on first or second honeymoons than families with kids. I think in your case I'd recommend Sorrento instead, which will give you easy access for daytrips to the Amalfi Coast, Capri, Naples, and Pompeii. ALso, Sorrento has a lovely old town which is quite lively at night.
As for your late July/Aug. dates, I wouldn't worry too much. We've only gone to Italy in July or August, and always had a wonderful time. You just have to take more water and gelato breaks, and there's nothing wrong with that!

Have a great time!
Old May 18th, 2003, 05:47 PM

Positano is great and the weather in summer is the best.
Check hotel Covo dei Saraceni -
best location on the beach,next to the boats ,close to everything.
Old May 19th, 2003, 08:52 AM

Check out this website:
http://www.torresponda-positano.com/
We've rented La Cisterna for $250/night. Looks beautiful and not too far from the water. ciao . . .
Old May 19th, 2003, 10:53 AM

I've been to Positano three times, all the last week of July. I don't think the crowds were bad at all. Summer is the time to visit the Amalfi Coast--everything is open, and the sea is warm and beautiful. Italians who vacation on the Amalfi Coast go in August, especially after August 15, so if you can, schedule your trip for July and I don't think you'll be bothered by crowds. I've stayed at the Sirenuse twice and the San Pietro once, both are certainly "nice" but I'm not sure if they are in your price range. Weadles makes a good point that these towns along the Amalfi Coast are more romantic destinations than family ones. Sorrento might give the teenagers more to do and you'll have easy access to Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples and Capri.