Search

Nice, France

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 09:51 AM
kb

Nice, France

We will be going to Nice in August. My questions are as follows: What is the best way to get to and from the airport? Taxi? bus? Our hotel is located on the Promenade des Anglais. What day trips are worth taking? Any other information or suggestions are most appreciated.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 09:54 AM
x

Best way can mean different things to different people. For me, it means fastest and most hassle free. For me, that means a taxi. however, if cost is an issue, the bus might be a better option. <BR><BR>In terms of day trips, you might want to rent a car and drive to Monaco. A day trip to Cannes might also be fun.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 10:00 AM
Patrick

Although I've never done it, the airport is so close, that I can't imagine a taxi being very expensive.<BR><BR><BR>I agree that Cannes and Monaco are great day trips, and I've done them both by car and by train. But honestly, it is so much easier by train, and just as scenic (particularly more scenic for the person who doesn't have to drive). A car is almost a liability in Cannes, and a definite liability in Monaco. The train will bring you right in close with no worries -- also quick and cheap.<BR><BR>Other day trips, that become a little better with a car are to go up to the city of Eze (if you go by train it is a very long climb up), St. Paul, and also to the beautiful Verdun Gorge.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Christina

I've taken a cab much farther away in Nice to the airport and it didn't cost that much, so that is definitely the way to go. Really, it's not very far, probably only a mile or two, depending where your hotel is. It is going to be very crowded around there, and a lot of traffic, in August so I would avoid cars. You can easily get to Monaco, Cannes and Antibes by train.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 10:42 AM
kb

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I believe a taxi to and from the airport is the way to go as well as, a day trip to Monaco and Cannes. Thanks again!

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Wendy

A cab will cost you about $25 US from the airport. It's only about a ten-15 minute drive to Promenade des Anglais. I agree with the other posters who recommended Eze and St. Paul de Vence. If you can, try to have lunch at L'Columbe d'Or in St. Paul. It's an experience you aren't likely to forget! Another village very close to Nice,(4 miles) is St. Jean-Cap-Ferrat. It has a small pebbly beach (Le Plage Passable) just off the main road. The town itself offers a lovely seaside walk that climbs the same road as that of the old villas, and offers some wonderful views. In town, there's some nice seafood restaurants like Le Sloop, and a few galleries and shops. You can easily take a bus there and back from Nice. A restaurant six miles east of Nice that I've recommended quite a lot here, is La Chaumiere, 6 rue d'Observatoire. It's pricey by taxi, but a once in a lifetime dining experience. At least it was for us! All the main entrees are cooked in the dining room fireplace. Appetizers and desserts are the freshest stuff available, and beyond compare. Have a wonderful time! ONe last note: If you do want to go to this restaurant, you have to make reservations well ahead, then re-confirm when you get to Nice. .

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 10:55 AM
brenda

If you do go to Monaco from Nice, there are also regularly scheduled buses that go from Nice to Monaco as well (the station is very centrally located in Nice). When we went, the main highway was closed due to an accident (apparently a common occurence) and as a result we had to take a detour up the mountain and down again. We saw so many beautiful estates on the detour that it ended up being our highlight !! Consider renting a car an exploring it that's your kind of thing.